"Compulsory sick leave for Civil Servants"..statement by Michael O'Leary in SIndo

Re: Compulsory sick leave for Civil Servants

I think Batt O' Keefe tried to put a spin on this , then had to admit the average teacher took one sick day per year.

I think Batt O' Keefe tried to put a spin on this , then had to admit the average teacher took one sick day per year.

Now don't let the facts get in the way here what's the catch

That seems incredible. Can anyone post a link? Teachers have such a very short working year (36.5 weeks in primary, 33.5 weeks in secondary) it can't be the case that they can take 10% off without a cert.

That seems incredible. Can anyone post a link? Teachers have such a very short working year (36.5 weeks in primary, 33.5 weeks in secondary) it can't be the case that they can take 10% off without a cert.

Cannot post a link but I was of the same opinion as Johnd that teahers got something like 25-30 days uncertified sick leave a year.

Seems like the Press - and Michael O'Leary - are in good company. Why let the truth get in the way of a good bit of Civil Service bashing.

I'm a public servant and took up with my union the recent public sector bashing and what were my union doing to counteract this. The response was that journalists in the Sunday Independent had told them that pro public sector stories would not be published. The Indo has a anti public sector policy...

This old issue was raised by Batt O Keeffe last November.

[broken link removed]

A spokesman for Mr O’Keeffe denied that the Minister was claiming widespread abuse by teachers. The Minister was putting the figures out there, he said.
Marion

I am very surprised that this is not in the left wing media (RTE, Irish Times etc)

So much for balanced reporting. Anyway stopped buying the O'Reilly rag mags years ago.

As I work for the public sector and am not against reporting on these types of abuses, there is a civil responsability by the media to be fair and equal in their jobs.

It is because of this reporting that I was subject to abuse in the pub lately over all this supposed sick leave and other terms of employment. It is populist at the moment to attack the public / civil service. When it descends into public hysteria is when the brakes have to be pulled.

so if they worked a full year they would be more than 10% sick? very dangerous profession there.

Says it all really. What a professional attitude to take to news and current affairs reporting. The only decent journalist they have is Gene Kerrigan and I can't understand why he wants to be associated with such a shallow rag. I'm sure other papers would snap him up.

Hearsay from one union rep - hardly to be taken as gospel.

Exactly. I doubt the Sunday Independent came out and admitted that they were anti public sector and that no pro public sector articles would be published even if that was their position. To be fair to them, every paper has been publishing the same stuff. Every economist/commentator is saying the same things so I wouldn't just pick on one paper.

By the way I work in banking so I am willing to argue over who has gotten a worse press over the past year!

No, but as a Civil Servant I am well aware of the lies, half truths and distortions that are constantly being printed in this paper which back up this statement. Also, our union has had huge problems getting the media to give them newspaper space or air time.

No, but as a Civil Servant I am well aware of the lies, half truths and distortions that are constantly being printed in this paper which back up this statement.

So in your view are there any publications that treat civil servants fairly?

Also, our union has had huge problems getting the media to give them newspaper space or air time.

The media generally? Do you really think there is a blanket media conspiracy against the civil serice/public sector just because unions don't get free PR?

The media in Ireland is generally very left wing. RTE are a semi-state body, are you saying that they are anti-public sector? The Irish Times is akin to the print wing of the Labour Party. If the Indo is right wing then it goes a small way to redressing the existing general bias.

When I worked for the public sector, I got almost 50 days off per year : 30 days holidays, 12 days flexi days and 6 uncertified sick days.
To get a flexi day you had to work up a full day per month over and above the 6hr36 working day. This was very easy to do.
Sick days were definitely not mandatory but were 'encouraged'.

Can someone please tell me - why did I leave?!?

So in your view are there any publications that treat civil servants fairly?

The media generally? Do you really think there is a blanket media conspiracy against the civil serice/public sector just because unions don't get free PR?

The unions are not asking for free PR. They're asking for balanced reporting.

In relation to your first question, I consider the Sunday Independent the worst offenders as do many other civil servants who refuse to buy it anymore because of their constant ranting against the civil service. I have no objection to fair criticism of the civil Service in the media and have often criticised aspects of it on this board myself. I object to lies and to unbalanced reporting.

You wanted to be able to look yourself in the eye?

Flexi days are not days off, they are days worked up in advance.

How was taking sick days 'encouraged'?

I don't know about the general public service, but in the Civil Service you would need to be extremely senior to get 30 days annual leave a year. And very senior staff are not usually on flexi time.