compliance cert

mossfitzg1

I've just completed a new kitchen extension. Its quite straightforward so I didnt use and architect or even have plans drawn up. I am very happy with the builder and the finished product but I'm now concerned as to possible problems if I decide to sell the property in the coming years. I know I dont need pp as its less than 40 sq m but could i have a problem getting a certificate of compliance. my question is can a surveyor provide a cert even if he wasnt involved in the building process up until now. if not then what problems could i run into when i decide to sell ?

I take it the extension is at the back of the house, not at the side, otherwise 25sqm is the limit.
No problem getting a surveyor to give you a cert. Should cost around €200/250 max. But you really need a cert if you ever intend to sell, so don't worry to much about it.

I posted this a few days ago in response to another query.

Qualifications of Person Certifying Works.

When you do construction work, you must take account of planning issues and Building Regulations. If you are selling or mortgaging a property that has been substantially built/renovated since 1963, the Purchaser / Lender will require evidence ( in the form of a formal Certificate/Opinion from a qualified person) that the works done were either exempt from planning or required planning, that the works were done in accordance with the planning permission if applicable and that the works complied with Building Regs ( since early 1990's).

As far as I know, anyone can call themselves an Architect. The major problem the conveyancers have ultimately is whether the person certifying the works is someone recognised as qualified. The current list of persons acceptable to certify is engineers, building surveyors, architects ( RIAI) or persons in practice providing architectural services for at least 10 years.

mf