Completing Form 39 Ref 2 - Relating to chasing debtors through District Court

sartay

Hi all,

I am looking into chasing a couple of debtors through the District Court without appointing a solicitor. There's been a lot of usful info on here about it and I'm just wondering if someone might be able to answer a couple of questions on completing the Form 39, Ref 2 "Civil Summons for a debt or liquidated money demand".

1. On the form you are required to state the amount due to you and also "Costs (if paid within ten days)". What costs can be included here? Can you include the costs of getting these forms stamps? And can you include some nominal amount to cover the time spent in sorting out these forms and perhaps also travel costs in getting about to the relevant courts etc?

2. I am also just wondering about court costs - at what point do they come into play?

Many thanks in advance

All that anyone on this board can do is walk you through the ( entire) (tedious) process. And I don't think its a good idea for a solicitor to do that!

My recommendation would be that you Google Law Society OUP manuals - Civil Litigation. For €60 to the Law Society anyone can buy the manual that the students use which will give you most of the basic information that you will need.

mf

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/0c609d7abff72c1c80256d2b0045bb64/f2b520d8ceb5332880256d2b0046a093?OpenDocument

Guide to costs in the District Court. Note that No costs other than actual and necessary outlay shall be allowed or awarded to a party who conducts his or her own case

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/DistrictAmdLookup/No51-S.I.+No.+126+Of+1999+District+Court+(Costs)

Schedule of Costs link.

The costs are very low that you can recover if the matter is undefended. Read all the District Court rules carefully before issuing the Summons.

I had read those threads - they were very useful in getting me to the Form 39 r.2! Thanks for the other links and info everyone

Use a solicitor, if you're in business your time is money.

And they should give you a good deal if you have a few debtors to chase,

Back