Complaining about a TV programme - what are the implicatations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allthedoyles

We recently sent a complaint to the Broadcasting Complaints Commission , regarding an Irish television programme ..

The BCC have replied stating that our complaint has been forwarded to the television network , who have 14 days to forward a reply , if they so wish.

The BCC go on to say that the complaint will be considered , whether upheld or rejected , the complaint and complainants name will be made public .

We have 30 days to reply to this and object to publicity .

Now we are sure there are many other complaints against this tv programme other than our one , however , we would like to know the implications of allowing our name to be made public in respect of this compaint .

It all depends on the particular programme your complaint refers to and how contentious the issue is. In general, such complaints get minimum publicity. For example, complaints against RTE are published and the outcomes summarised in the RTE guide. I doubt if many people read this part but if you scour through a copy (and you will have to scour) you'll see what I mean. I'm not sure if details are also published on the website.

If the complaint is against another TV station, I'm not sure what the level of publicity is.

All that happens is if the BCC adjudicate your complaint the decision is published on their website. Your name is included, but no contact details. There will be a summary of your complaint, the stations response and the commissions decision.

Note that the BCC only adjudicate if you reject the stations response. With the nature of the complaints given the notoriety of the program in question, I suspect that the papers will take an interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back