Complain about Traffic Lights?

wally

Wasn't completely sure where to post this.

Does anybody know who you would write to in relation to traffic lights (or if there is any point.........?) I pass a double set of lights every morning, where if a pedestrian comes up and presses the lights, both sets go red immediately, even if they have just literally gone green the second before. The knock on effect of the traffic build up is ridiculous, I have just never seen lights before that go immediately red when the button is pressed even if the pedestrian has just 'missed' a green.

These was a set in Cabra that also changed instantly, but would have few second delay if they just went green. They changed the lights and an old dear who was used to an instant green man pressed the button and walked out under a car, I think she was killed. So you cant win, no matter that you do.

It's not the set on Kildare Street at Leinster House by any chance? They always changed pretty quickly in my experience.

It's actually a double set at Ballinteer Community School on the way home to Nutgrove Shopping Centre.

The lights near where i used to live were be like that. I remember once some twat beeping me because i pressed the button as he was approaching the lights.

Local authority.

You could try logging on to the [broken link removed]. They do a traffic program for 3 hours in the morning and evening in conjunction with the council the guards. They seem to be in touch with the guys controling the lights as they can 'flush' heavy areas out by changing the signal sequence. Listen to them at 103.2 I think. From 7-10 in the morning and 4-7 in the evening, it's a great service. (I have no connection with them)

Thanks for that. Will have a look at that DCAL, never thought about them as listen to that station in the mornings sometimes.

I have reported "faulty" lights a few times to Dublin City Council and they fixed them. By faulty, I mean a set that did not respond at all to oncoming traffic from one side and so one had to wait for a car to come from the other side to go through the lights.

I don't know what their policy on pedestrian lights is, but I would assume and hope that they give priority to pedestrians. If traffic is heavy in the area you are talking about, then what you describe probably doesn't affect overall traffic at all.

Brendan

What about the other seemingly ridiculous situation of multiple sets of lights - sometimes just a few metres apart?

Perfect example on Davitt Road at the Goldenbridge Luas stop - a set of pedestrian lights with a set of junction lights only about 20 metres further on - often in conflict with eachother.

In an effort to make it 'clearer' for drivers, in someone's wisdom, a shield has been fitted over the green light on the citybound set at the junction, making it difficult to see unless you have passed through the pedestrian lights and, in my opinion, making it uncertain as to whether the light is functioning or not.

Why didn't they just move the junction line back 20-metres to the Luas stop?

Further examples of multiple sets of lights short spaces apart and at odds with the road layout and eachother are on the Rathfarnham Road above Terenure, Stoneybatter and Knocklyon near Superquinn.

Anyone got other examples of where traffic lights are springing up places that make you say 'why are the lights located here?'

Some of the set-ups for lights are ridiculous. This has to be the only country on the planet where you can drive a couple of hundred yards and face up to 5 sets of traffic lights. having said that I think pedestrian safety should be a priority.