Compensation in Criminal Trial

R

Reviewing

If someone has pleaded guilty to a completely unprovoked Assault in the Circuit Court (don't know what level of assault the charge was but it was serious), can the judge order them to pay medical costs and compensation to the victim when sentencing.

If so, does this actually happen in practice?

I feel I am entitled to some payment but won't be taking any civil action as I don't want any more to do with these people.

I can only comment by what I've seen in the papers but I recall plenty of cases where the defendent offered compensation to the victim in an effort to get a lesser sentance, this before sentancing took place.

In a criminal case, it is the State against the accussed and the Judge is only considering whether or not the accussed broke criminal law and what punishment is appropriate.

Compensation is a civil matter. Given that the person pleaded guilty, they would have very little chance of successfully defending a civil action.

Given that the person pleaded guilty, they would have very little chance of successfully defending a civil action.

I agree, but the people involved have numerous previous convictions for assaults, links with drug dealers etc. and I don't think bringing a civil case against them would be 'beneficial to me in the long term'.

It is possible to get such compensation.
I would contact the prosecuting garda and produce all bills for medical expenses that you incurred or loss of wages perhaps for being out of work or what ever costs that you had.
They can make an application to the judge on the day of hearing/sentence.
It'll be up to the judge then what if anything to award.

Back