compensation for delayed luggage

A

aishan

Has anyone followed up with an airline for compensation following delayed arrival of luggage?

I went on a weeks holiday last week and my baggage didn't arrive with the rest. I gave all details of accommodation during my stay to the airport staff and was told they would call me and deliver it to me when it arrived. I proceded to buy the essentials, hoping each day to hear from the airlinr/airport. On the fourth day after numerous calls to the local airport the baggage was delivered to my hotel.

Am I entitled to anything - for the inconvenience, disrupted travel plans, extra expense etc?

Have you travel insurance ?

Yep I had same problem week before last.

Have you travel insurance ? If so check your policy. I've VHI multitrip and once baggage is 12 hours or more late you can claim for up to €100 for essential purchases, once you provide receipts & have documentation from lost luggage in airport/or airline.

Don't know anything about situation if you don't have insurance.

A similar incident happened to me in August. We had a package holiday of one week to Lake Garda booked through Topflight. Flew with Excel Airways. Main bag arrived but golf clubs didn't show up. Waited in Verona airport for almost 2 hours trying to sort this out. Eventually told they would be delivered to the hotel the following day. It actually took four days before they arrived to the hotel. In those four days I repeatedly phoned Verona airport, Excel Airways in the UK, and the Topflight rep in Italy. All of these were at my on expense. I took the issue up with the airline on my return to Dublin to be told - tough! And to check my travel insurance. I do have a separate travel insurance policy but they will only compensate me for "essential" items which I needed to purchase in lieu once I have the receipts. As "attached" as I am to my golf clubs, they are not considered "essential" for insurance purposes. However as this was a long awaited golfing holiday for both of us - I had to hire clubs for four days at considerable expense. I am still infuriated with it all and wonder what is the point in taking out travel insurance ?????????????

regardless of insurance

.. isn't the carrier still liable for delays in delivering baggage? I've read the terms and conditions of the ticket and it does mention compensation for delays and complaints but not how much compensation and who you make the complaints to.

Re: regardless of insurance

Hi valc1 - Sorry to hear your problems but most insurance companies charge extra for golf holidays so I guess you would have needed to have golf cover to avail of this.

Compensation

Our luggage arrived a day late after flying from Stanstead last year. Ryanair delivered it in a big black merc taxi, the next day, and the little fella in a polo shirt said he was very sorry and gave us a hamper of cheese and nice things, and said he hoped it would not happen again.

credit card?

If you booked your holiday with a credit card you might be covered. Travel insurance doesn't seem to cover you for anything as I found out last year when my luggage was sent to Frankfurt instead of Dublin. You need to contact them quickly though.

response from airline

Thanks for the replies - just to update - the reply from the airline is that I am entitled to compensation!! of €35 per day after the first 24hrs of a delay. It took a few attempts and at least 10 mins on hold to get through on their hotline to tell me this. Why isn't it anywhere on their website or on the ticket?

Anyway my claim in writing is in and I'm waiting for a reply (should take 4-6 weeks!).

Back