Comparing petrol and diesel prices

Bubbly Scot

I'm not looking for a discussion or a debate about the rising cost of petrol et al, just an understanding of why there is such a difference between them in price. In our local filling stations petrol is selling at 1.14 a litre but diesel is as much as ten cents less. It's always been maybe a cent or two lower but anyone got any ideas why the sudden big difference?

Wondered the same myself-remember-the price differential used to be more significant not that long ago.

Historically, I thought that about 10% difference was normal (i.e. diesel should be 10% cheaper than petrol).

AFAIK, this is due to the production mix at refineries being fixed. They would normally produce more diesel than petrol, and hence sell it at a lower price to shift more of it.

Curious.

When I moved here two years ago, diesel and petrol were both at 93/94 cent mark. Ahhhhh, those were the days!

I suppose with petrol now being well over the euro a litre and taking Bootdogs thoughts into consideration it would seem they're just following the trend and it's just more apparent.

Doesn't stop Mr Bubble from gloating at how much more gallon to the pound he can get!!

Last edited: