Comparing furniture shops and furniture brands

Protocol

I am trying to buy a sofa and armchairs.

My problem is that I find it difficult to differentiate between the various furniture shops.

To illustrate my point, when shopping for a car, washing machine, or camera, I generally do out a list, table or Excel spreadsheet with a comparison of the various features of each model.

Similarly, I have some idea of the differences between Sony, Philips, Alba brands, etc.

However, it’s not so easy with furniture. There don’t seem to be any familiar brands, plus I don’t really know the difference between the retail outlets.

For example, here in Sligo we have the following shops in the retail park:

· Allendale
· Land of Leather
· Reid’s
· Classic furniture
· InStore

There are also other independent stores in town, e.g. Sligo House Furnishers and Cameo Furniture, as well as Curley’s in Coolooney.

Any tips on how to differentiate between them?

I had the same problem too this summer when buying furniture! After 3 months trawling around the various outlets, it basically came down to price with me! I bought a bed on sat in Harvey Normans. The same bed was in Diamond Living for €150 more and that was their sale price! I didnt choose Harveys for any other reason other than price! Same as for the couch, it was a good deal in reids, even though id heard their customer service isnt that great! Although i bought a lamp and they delivered it on time with no problems.I went with a grade 15 leather, i think they range from 5-30 or somethin like that. I liked the couch,it was a good price, the satff were really nice..it didnt matter where i bought it.
I dont pick any retailer over another because of name/reputation etc, if the item is there that i want and priced lower than other shops i will go with them. My advice spend a weekend going to each shop and price everything up that you want and go from there!

Got our sofa and bed in classic furniture, prob ripped off completly with the bed but hey, it was exactly what we wanted. Found reids too interested in making the sale rather than asking us what we wanted.

Our website www.furniture.ie should be useful.
Furnishing your home can be difficult beacuse comparions are difficult. It can be hard to compare products based on spec when it is difficult to know the specifications. Also seek impartial advice on products do your own research.

In relation to brands Ikea is about the biggest brand in the home furnishing market. Not here yet.

Also try not to compare products as much on specification, you will have to live with them and use them in your home so make sure you are happy with your purchase. Always go for quality even if you have to hold off getting it for a few months.