Company Vehicle Insurance

J

JF77

I am about to purchase a commercial vehicle through my company. The insurance company has told me that if I insure the vehicle through my name I will be covered to drive other vehicles as otherwise it will be in the companies name thus not covering me directly. How/will this affect my standing with Revenue?

I do not think the advise you are given is correct. please recheck.

driving other cars extension is given under private car policies only. I have not heard of the extension being given on commercial vehicles.

i could be wrong, and if so, would love to hear of the compay providing the cover.

agree with Ravima - also if you purchase the vehicle in the Company name it should also be insured in the Company name - the 3rd party extension normally only applies to private car insurance.

As previously stated I think you are getting incorrect information. Company or fleet insurances usually cover employees, including proprietary directors once they meet the usual criteria of age, licence, etc to drive specific company-owned or leased vehicles and driving other vehicles is not covered, IME.

Unless of course what you want to do is purchase a commercial vehicle through the company, reclaiming the VAT and keeping the vehicle for your own "private" use.

...How/will this affect my standing with Revenue?

How can an insurance issue have any effect on your standing with Revenue, unless of course my speculation above is fact.

Setanta insurance offer driving of other commercial vehicles
[broken link removed]

It's fairly new and through brokers only. They cover the main driver to drive other commercial vehicles, third party only once they do not belong to your employer, family or spouse (family include brothers, sisters, parents etc)

So in the OPs case(if this is the company he is referring to) he would be able to drive other commercial vehicles if the policy was in his name though not if it is in the company name.
I have not heard of any other company offering DOV on commercial motor policies.

No idea about Revenue though!