Company name registration query

Bob the slob

If I want to name a company and part of that name is already taken, can I still use it?

Say for example the name I choose is Joe Bloggs Media but there is already a company called Joe Bloggs, can I still register that name?

I think you can with an extra I or something additon

try it,
i got mine set up with extra word

Registered Business Names are non-unique. Two businesses may have exactly the same name. Only the number is unique.

Ltd Company Names are unique. Not two companies may have the same name.

There's nothing to stop part of the name of a Ltd company being the same as the name of another company as long as it's not exactly the same.

There is however trademark issues and the tort of passing off if you are doing something underhand. i.e. living off the good name of another business.

Absolutely no problem unless the other business is a huge brand like Virgin etc. That they could argue is applicable to any industry.

If the business name is too similar to a Limited company name, and the limited company finds out you've registered it, they can apply to the CRO to restrict you from using the name (and will always win this).

This is still the case even if the two businesses are in seperate industries...

A limited company name is MUCH strong in terms of CRO protection.

The risk here is if your caught and you've spent money on your brand, advertising, on corporate identity - logo design, letterheads, stationary, printing costs, signage etc... that money will be down the tubes as you'll be forced to change it all and rebrand. That can be a significant cost...

Last edited:
From the original post, I took it that the poster is looking to set up a company as opposed to a business name?

If the name is too similar to an established company, CRO will not allow it unless it is a related company, in which they will allow it provided a letter of no objection is provided from the original company(showing it is under common control)

Back