Company Car or Car Allowance?

N

noob_taxer

Hi, I know this has been much discussed but after long and hard trying to find an answer I am now writing this post.

I have been offered a job, which they have offered me £20k plus £4k car allowance per annum. I already have a car and they are offering 15p per mile.

My dilemma is that I don't want to drive to work as it can take around 2hrs, not because of distance but due to rush hour traffic. It takes me 1hr on public transport which I would prefer just because I don’t have to go through that horrendous traffic which does my head in.

So if I take the allowance I am obliged to drive to work, is that correct? Or basically I have to have some sort of car at the office?

Should I decline the 4k and get a company car, this would be solely used for business, no personnel miles would be involved.

Could I make a better deal if I said the car would only be used for business, it will be in the company’s car park all other times?

Is there another alternative to both options?

Also, I know that the job involves travelling, sometimes even from London to Birmingham, However I am new to this job and I know that I will not be travelling as much or even at all in the first 3-4 months, After 4+ months I know I would be expected to travel quite abit.

Please help me, I’m sorry if this sounds stupid.
Thank You

Re: Company Car or Car Allowance??

When I was in a similar position years ago, I asked the HR people and was advised that there was no expectation that I had to bring my car to work. It suited me to walk to work, so we managed as a 1-car family.

The real question is whether you are going to need the car for work, e.g. travelling to/from meetings.

So if I take the allowance I am obliged to drive to work, is that correct?

I don't think so. It is between you and your employer.

Or basically I have to have some sort of car at the office?

If travel is from the office, then this may be your only option.
Would you be able to travel from your home when you start travelling.
Where will your travels take you to - Ireland or abroad
If in Ireland - Where?

See [broken link removed] for calc BIK on company cars

TAKE the MONEY you always TAKE THE MONEY!!!!! What you do in your own time is your own business.
No one tells me what to do with my time outside company hours, unless they are paying me double.
You get paid from when you start in the morning and not before. Up until that time it's no one's business if you use a helicopter or a donkey to get to work.

Thanks for the reply guys,
I will need to go on site from the office, so i guess i am forced to drive to work.

I just recieved the letter of offer on friday, I will be making alot of enquiries 2moro.

Again, thanks for your replies.

Thanks for the reply guys,
I will need to go on site from the office, so i guess i am forced to drive to work.
Don't be afraid to play the environmental card, and the 'good community citizen' card as reasons why you shouldn't drive to work EVERY day. Maybe you can get it down to 2-3 days driving per week?