Company being Liquidated Locks Changed

bettyboop

My partners company is going through liquidation at the moment. His landlord has now changed the locks on the premises just wondering if this is allowed. All assets are still inside.
Also will he be entitled to any social welfare payment once liquidation is complete.

No and No. The lease falls to the liquidator so the landlord can't just change the locks. No social welfare i'm afraid.

My partners company is going through liquidation at the moment. His landlord has now changed the locks on the premises just wondering if this is allowed. All assets are still inside.

Well first of all everything relating to the company's affairs is now the responsibility of the liquidator and nothing to do with your partner. It's important to be very clear on this, acting in anyway on behalf of the business, without agreement from the liquidator, could land your partner in very deep waters even to the point of criminal charges being filed!

If the landlord is owed money then he may be in a position to exercise a lean on the property of the company and changing the locks would be seen as enforcing said lean - it is up to the liquidator to sort this out, not your partner.

Good luck with that,

Jim.

Are you certain that it is the landlord that has changed the locks?

It could well have been the liquidator that did this.

Whether you partner is entitled to social welfare will depend on his/her class of insurance.

The landlord can lock you out, but must accomodate access to the liquidator and cannot empose a lien over the assets.

Presumably the partner was self employed and therefore not paying the 'normal' class of PRSI and so not entitled to social welfare on those grounds. But if the partner has no means (money/property/assets) he may still be entitled to means tested dole.