Commuting to Dublin from Border Counties

M

Manhatten101

Hi to all !
I would like to know the average time spent commuting in and out of Dublin city from the border counties is ?

Thanks in advance !

You'll need to be a bit more specific than that!
What areas in particular are you talking about? Are they on the train etc?

Depends - I commute from Kildare & it takes anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs to get to work every day & then the same return.

Dont do it!!

By train/bus or car ! Heard some horror stories on Newstalk the other day. A long commute even destroyed one couple's marriage !

With House prices on the up and more and more people moving out of Dublin....I'd just like to get an overall idea of how long people are prepared to travel in and out of the city each day and how it affects them ?

Thanks !

Manhatten101 said:
I'd just like to get an overall idea of how long people are prepared to travel in and out of the city each day and how it affects them ?
Thanks !

Surely you should be more concerned with how it would affect you rather than other people! Maybe Sun Sparks is onto something :D

Carrickmacross is not a bad drive from Dublin with the improvements to the N3 and the M1 in recent years. It really depends where in Dublin you are going-could be in Swords in around an hour from Carrickmacross. Ardee would be a good enough location as well. But if you are going into the city, you can probably add another hour.

I commute from just inside the North Dublin border to Dublin 4 on a daily basis. Including walking to/from train stations, I can expect to commute for approx 3 hours per day. This extends to 4 hours on a bad commuter transport day.
HTH

Dundalk to Port Tunnel is approx 1 hour ( 1.60 toll unless you fancy a spin through Drogheda and an extra 30 mins) Port Tunnel to city centre is something else!! Trains depend on whether you take the enterprise ( nearly always full ) or commuter ie Drogheda, Laytown, Gormanstown, Rush, Skerries etc ( pain in the a**) CIE bus about 2.5 hours ( pain in the a**) Matthews Coaches €7 single/€10 return/ €40 for 10 journeys. about 10 times daily. if coach skips Drogheda its just under 1.5 hours to Parnell street. If through Drogheda add about 15 mins as driver pulls back onto M1 and goes through toll bridge. The direct coaches are becoming more frequent ( maybe about 4 or 5 daily at present) but you can check out the website yoursell . ps I am not connected with them, just find their service excellent when I do have to go to Dublin.

Drogheda - CityCentre - 58 to 60 mins each way on Commuter train (sleep, read, sudoku, games, radio, mp3s, work). Belfast-Dublin Enterprise service is quicker (45 mins in the morning, and 30mins in the evening) but crowded in the morning.

Back