Commuting from Lucan area to city

mister mac

Could anybody tell me how long the Mortons bus takes to get from lucan to st. Stephens green on weekday mornings.
Need to be at work for 8:30, so which ever Bus would suit

I take Dublin Bus and to be honest it can vary..Yesterday, the bus journey (25X on at 7.30am) alone took an hour ...Griffen Road was absolutely jammed..getting up to Wooodies over the bridge can take 30 - 40 minutes sometimes.. Im not sure what they are doing with the road layout over the bridge but I think its summer '07 before it will be finished..grateful if others had news on this?

If you go by bike you should be there in 30-40mins. I cycle in from Carpenterstown and it takes 30 mins. It's the only viable commuting option left in Dublin, unless you live on a train/luas line.

Don't mean to hijack ur thread Mister Mac, but chippengael what route do you cycle? i cycle from Clonsilla - through Roselawn, Castleknock, the park and up the quays - all in it takes 40-45mins.

I live in Griffeen Glen and used to laugh at people who complained about the commute... not any more.

I go to Baggot Street, and it generally now takes 1:15 to get into work. As the previous poster says, it all depends on how long it takes to get to Woodies - recently it's taken me up to 45 mins, and I would walk but I'd be afraid that the bus would be full by that point.

The Mortons bus and the 25X don't seem to take any difference in time. Maybe the Mortons would trim 5 mins off, but that's all.

The new QBC might make a difference, but I'm not sure whether and how the routes will change to accommodate this. Also, Adamstown will have a major effect, as the people commuting from there will be boarding the buses at the top of the route... will this impact on the availability of buses to people closer to the Lucan Road? Are Dublin Bus planning on increasing the frequency of their buses?

In response to sunsparks post, the frequency of the 25A will only increase if Dublin Bus gets more buses, and given yesterdays announcement that should happen in 2007...If you look at the new road being constructed (between castle riada and foxborough) it already has bus shelters on it so the bus must be going down that route...

The new Adamstown Link Road must be near completion now and I saw last night that they were tarmacing the final juntcion of the new "Outer" ring road so these may provide some relief to the congestion slowing the bus's.

I think though the fundamental problem with the raod network is the M50.

The new Adamstown Link Road must be near completion now and I saw last night that they were tarmacing the final juntcion of the new "Outer" ring road so these may provide some relief to the congestion slowing the bus's.

I think though the fundamental problem with the raod network is the M50.

Dont forget that the increased Adamstgwn traffic will probably balance this out, and maybe even make it worse! I

Don't mean to hijack ur thread Mister Mac, but chippengael what route do you cycle? i cycle from Clonsilla - through Roselawn, Castleknock, the park and up the quays - all in it takes 40-45mins.

I head from Carpenterstown road south, then left towards College Gate estate, under the M50, up to Castleknock College. Then straight on through the lights and through the pedestrian gate at Farmleigh and on into the Park, then down the quays. I haul ass, take no prisoners, and casually mock the despairing car drivers as I overtake them, leaving them in envious self-loathing. Particularly the yummy mummy brigade in their BMW X5s with the kids in the back wondering why it takes a hour to get to school when it's only a mile away.

I drove to work recently. It took an hour and a half! I couldn't stop laughing!

Dont encourage people out of their cars. There's nothing worse for cyclists than a road with loads of other cyclists. Ever cycle down the grand canal, its a nightmare. Leave people be in their nice warm, slow cars.

Dont encourage people out of their cars. There's nothing worse for cyclists than a road with loads of other cyclists. Ever cycle down the grand canal, its a nightmare. Leave people be in their nice warm, slow cars.

Yes, you are right. I'd rather bump into a stationary car than a moving one.
On the other hand, the traffic would be great if it wasn't for all those cars....

If you're brave you can moped it. I moped from griffeen glen to the city centre - it takes from 25 mins (mondays+fridays) to 35 mins (tuesdays+wet) no matter what time I leave, it's less stressfull the earlier you go cos you're not overtaking quite so many cars. Approx the same time coming home.

There are new 25X's on the route! just discovered there's an additional 25X at 17.05 from Waterloo road along with the normal 25X at the same time. I think the Adamstown one just heads up to Adamstown instead of Superquinn, but other than that it's the same route.
Haven't seen any other new buses in the morning, but I get one about 7.30 at Penny Hill and I get into work in Donnybrook at 8.35, but on a very bad wet day it can be 9am.

I live in Griffeen Glen and used to laugh at people who complained about the commute... not any more.

I go to Baggot Street, and it generally now takes 1:15 to get into work. As the previous poster says, it all depends on how long it takes to get to Woodies - recently it's taken me up to 45 mins, and I would walk but I'd be afraid that the bus would be full by that point.

The Mortons bus and the 25X don't seem to take any difference in time. Maybe the Mortons would trim 5 mins off, but that's all.

The new QBC might make a difference, but I'm not sure whether and how the routes will change to accommodate this. Also, Adamstown will have a major effect, as the people commuting from there will be boarding the buses at the top of the route... will this impact on the availability of buses to people closer to the Lucan Road? Are Dublin Bus planning on increasing the frequency of their buses?

That's how long it takes me to get into work too in the city centre.....and I live in Portlaoise!!

Mr Mac,

To answer your original question, get the 7.00am Mortons to beat a good bit of the traffic surge. You will get to work in good time. Could take 1 hour or so, leaving you time to buy a coffee and chill before your day begins! The 7.15 will take a bit longer as traffic will have build up in that short period of time - you may be cutting thing a bit fine.

Still better than the Dublin Bus...less stops...more comfortable bus...drivers seem to have a better incentive to get in quick etc....

See: http://www.circlelinebus.com/routes1.php for times (CL2 route)

Cheers,

Fresco

it it just me or is it ridiculous having to leave 2 hrs before work starts for a distance of approx 9 miles. im with the cyclists. more time in bed and a bit of exercise.

Yes it's completely nuts.
You could commute from Tullamore in the time it takes me to get Lucan to Donnybrook each day.
I estimate it takes me 12-15 hours a week on buses. What you could do with that time...............

it it just me or is it ridiculous having to leave 2 hrs before work starts for a distance of approx 9 miles. im with the cyclists. more time in bed and a bit of exercise.

I cycle 8 miles or so to work and back every day. I feel great, relaxed, fitter and relieved that I have extracted myself from the mysery of commuting by car, bus, train etc...

I really think it is the only viable method of travel left. The government should do more to promote cycling in the capital...close the quays to traffic one day a year, something like that. What a difference it would make.

Once you get on the bike, you'll never get back in the car again!

Back