Commute time via the N2

ollie323

Whats the traffic like on the N2 going south into ashbourne at around 07:15 to 07:30 on weekdays? I pass it going north in the mornings at 08:00 and it's backed up for 1 or 2 km north of ashbourne.
I've listened to traffic reports but either keep missing it or it's not mentioned.

Thanks

ollie

Its backed up the same as at 8am, sometimes worse. I find it backs up between Skryne X and Kilmoon and then just trickles along to the Rath roundabout at Ashbourne. I take a short cut through Rathfeigh and Curragha village turning left at Swan's pub. It takes 12-15mins to clear at 7:15am but over the last two weeks even this route is taking 20-25mins because of all the people who use it to avoid the N2. No repreive though when you get to the M50 it's backed up because of the works on the M50. I think they should toll the N2 it would stop alot of traffic that should be using the M1 and ease the congestion at Kilmoon.

Thanks Teknon. You've saved my wife a lot of pain! (And me for suggesting it to her!) She uses the M1 but is tired of the rather long tailbacks going as far as swords. Plus paying 500 euro in tolls for the privelige. It looks like the n2 is a non runner for her then.
I don't see how tolling the n2 will fix the problem though. (we thought car insurance cost a lot!!) Yes it will divert people to the m1 and maybe the m3 but they are already bunged up. If the bottlenecks are Kilmoon cross and the rath roundabout then some slip roads like those being installed on the m50 will solve that. God knows we give the govt enough money in vehicle taxes every year to build a half dozen port tunnels! Ah well..................

ollie

No worries Ollie, I think tolling the N2 would even out the traffic, alot of HGVs use the N2 to avoid the higher toll costs. These slow up traffic and sometimes cause the bottleneck when they stop on the road to let their mates pull out or turn aaaarrrgh. Best of luck to your wife with her commute, its a real pain so much so I am relocating to Dublin in the new year ! :eek: But only to live I would never support the Dubs !:p

Its backed up the same as at 8am, sometimes worse. I find it backs up between Skryne X and Kilmoon and then just trickles along to the Rath roundabout at Ashbourne. I take a short cut through Rathfeigh and Curragha village turning left at Swan's pub. It takes 12-15mins to clear at 7:15am but over the last two weeks even this route is taking 20-25mins because of all the people who use it to avoid the N2. No repreive though when you get to the M50 it's backed up because of the works on the M50. I think they should toll the N2 it would stop alot of traffic that should be using the M1 and ease the congestion at Kilmoon.

It is probably more backed up because of the road works in Ratoath. I know alot of people who used to turn down the Skryne Road into Ratoath are now heading for Curragha

Back