commute time - Portlaoise to UCD

Nige

If any of you have a rough idea how long it would take to get from Portlaoise to UCD (for 9am), I'd be grateful for your expertise.

All forms of transport considered.

A friend of mine used to commute from Portlaoise to Ballsbridge by train and she used to get the 10 to 7 train to get into Dublin for just after 8 and she would then get a bus and would be in work for around 8.40. Bear in mind that while train might say it gets in at such a time you need to consider delays etc and then traffic when you get off train. You might be better off getting earlier train (i think the first one is at 6am, this gets in around half 7) if you decide to use that mode of transport.

the 46e (i think) goes from Heuston to Belfield, alternatively the 92 from Heuston will bring you to Trinity where you can get a 46a. Dublin Bus are conducting a Network Direct review so there may be changes to the 46a/e routes so keep an eye on their website.

when i was getting the trains from Portlaoise they were generally on time so i'd say you'd be fine with the later train.

thanks, I'll have a look at the 46e option.

I don't think going into town to get the 46A is an option - every different connection you add, adds at least another 10 minutes and more chances of delays.

I think the network review envisages the 145 bus terminating at Heuston, so this would give a fairly frequent service to UCD.

Back