Not open for further replies.

newseeker1

Anyone commuting (driving) daily from Mullingar to Athlone

What route do you take
How long does the journey take
Are any times particularly worse than others for travelling at
Where are the black spots in terms of traffic dealys

Thanks

I don't do it daily, but when I do I go via Ballymore. Takes about 30 mins if you you don't get stuck behind something - it's a winding road so there's not many opportunities for safe overtaking. Traffic volume is not an issue at any time.

I used to do it the other way around and ballymore is the way to go Athlone to Mullingar). On a good day I'd have the journey done in 20 minutes but other days it would take 30 minutes.

Hi

I live in Mullingar and do this trip every now and then.
Ballymore is the route to take although it isn't a great road - I would have said 30 minutes minimum. The other option is to go via Horseleap and Moate which gives you a better road (N6) for about a third of the journey.
But Moate can be a bit of a bottle neck at peak times.
Someone stopped me recently in Mullingar looking for directions for Tyrellspass as they were going to Galway (via Athlone). Someone had gave them those directions which at the moment is a bit mad but might make sense when the remaining new N6 opens from Kilbeggan to Athlone.

Safe driving !!

Thanks for the replies :)

Does going the Ballymore way bring you in to Athlone near the Institute of Technology - Garycastle area?

You will be arriving to Athlone on the R390 from Mullingar / Ballymore.
See map here
It's a straight forward drive to Garrycastle or Athlone IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back