Commute from Sutton?

pingin

Living in Raheny at the moment but looking at a nice apartment in Corr Castle in Sutton.

It's a lovely part of Dublin but would it be practical to commute by DART to Montrose every day? Also, how long would it take to get from Corr Castle to Howth station on foot?

A recent Irish Times article suggested that Sutton to the city centre on a bike was quite normal. I've got a bike but Sutton to Montrose seems like an awfully long way to cycle. Does anyone do it?

So many quetions...

Thanks.

Apparently it's about a 20-odd minute walk to Howth station from there. You might be better off getting a 31 bus to Fairview and switching to a 27x, if you time it right it would take about an hour.

Cycling would be tough I'd say, though if you cycled as far as Clongriffin station I think there's secure cycle parking there.

Thanks for that very useful advice dereko1969. Considering I'm not one of these super-cyclists, the public transport option might be best!

And there's the walk at the other end of the journey, from the DART to Montrose. From Sydney Parade is another 15 minutes.

You might consider investing in a fold-up bike, one you can carry on to the DART, i.e. cycle to Howth station, DART to Sydney Parade, cycle up Nutley Lane to Montrose. Full size bikes aren't allowed on the DART at peak times (though some seem to have no issue flouting that regulation :rolleyes:).

Corr Castle is marginally closer to Sutton station than Howth, but I would not put it at more than a 15 minute brisk walk either direction. The advantage of walking to Howth is that you're getting on at the terminus.

I do know people who cycle to town, docklands or East Point - there is an off-road path from Sutton to Fairview and it's level but very exposed to the elements. I'd say you'd need a lot of resolve to get on a bike everyday unless you were very keen to start off with!

I'm sorry I don't know anything about the details of the commute you're talking about but as a person who once did a two-leg public transport commute with a walk at one end which took anything from an hour to an hour and three quarters every day, I would have to urge you to think really really carefully before you decide to do it. I found it sole destroying. Too much time spent in traffic, waiting for connecting buses, etc. It really can eat into your life. I didn't realise how bad it was until I changed jobs and cut the commute in half. The effect on my sense of well-being was immense. And I hate to be excessively negative but it you are buying an apartment and you do regret it, it may be difficult to sell it on. I'd just urge you to think twice and at least do the commute once at peak times to see how it works out. I wish you all the best with your move.

Last edited:
Back