Commute from Skerries to Dublin?

E

ETY

We are considering moving from Dublin to Skerries - a key concern is the commute to work in the city centre. Does anyone have experience of the train from Skerries - is it reliable? Can you generally get a seat? Is parking at the train station an issue?

Also interested in hearing what Skerries is like for a family with young kids?

Thanks!

Enda

Hi ETY,

Skerries is a lovely area. Great for kids, lots of activities and good schools around. The train is reliable however after 8am it is difficult to get a seat. Easier in the Summer when the kids are not at school but winter time you would need to be on an early train to be sure. Parking also fills up by 8am. Some people park in estates near to station but that will probably be stoppped some time soon.

Hope this helps.

Trains are generally very reliable but seats on trains between 7.30-8.20am almost non-existent!
The town in general is lovely and a whole host of amenities for kids to enjoy.GAA,Soccer,Rugby aswell as many other sports clubs plus beaches/parks/playgrounds..

Echo bren1916, seat are a rare thing on train but so far as the areas go, it's a great place. Really good for resturaunts

The train serivce to/from Skerries has improved drastically in the last few years but seats are still hard to come by. On the way in it's nigh-on impossible to get a seat between the hours mentioned above and on the way home it's pot luck depending on what station you get on at. One odd thing I used to do is I would get the train from Skerries to Malahide and then get a DART from Malahide in. It would take slightly longer, but you would get seat on the DART.

Skerries is a great place to grow up in, lots of things to do for the kids and it's right beside the beach.

I am thinking of moving to Skerries also. Does anyone drive from there to Park West area. If I work from 8am, how long would it take to drive - using the M1 and the M50?

I work around the corner from Park West. It takes me 40-50 minutes to drive using the M1/M50 in the mornings. In light traffic before 8am, it should only take you 40 minutes. In heavy traffic the max would be 60 minutes. The M50 works have hugely improved the traffic flow, plus no toll, plus fewer cars on the road due to the recession; it is a changed route from 2 years ago. Be prepared for heavier traffic in the evenings on the route home, journey times vary from day to day.

I take the train weekdays from Skerries to Pearse. I have never had a seat on any train in the past year leaving Skerries between 7:30 and 8:30 am. I alsmost always get a seat coming home in the evening rush.

Still, the trains are punctual, and my only real complaint is the lack of trains on Sundays.

Skerries is lovely, great for families.

Since the collapse of the bridge at Malahide Estuary, does anyone know if there are direct coach services planned from Skerries to UCD? Ones that would avoid going via Rush....