Commute from Drogheda to Dun Laoghaire?

tester1

Hi

Husband has interview for job in above area.... is this commute a realistic possibility.

What route would be best?
And how long would you expect it to take.

Shift prob 7 to 7 or 8 to 8(day and night)

I know loads of people doing it by train from Dundalk/drogheda to blackrock. Doesn't seem as bad as driving. AnyOne driving it are going m1 to east link via tunnel and then booterstown To black rock. Not a nice drive at all.
Not too bad on a motorbike though. Swords to blackrock is about 30 mins with no toll on east link.

Check out the timetable of Matthews Coach.

If the times suit, its faster and cheaper than the train.
The one to the IFSC will leave you close to the DART.

If you're considering public transport, it depends where in Dun Laoghaire he'll be.

I work in Dun Laoghaire, but it's nowhere near the DART station. The only way you could use public transpoprt to get from Drogheda to here would be to get the train to Dublin, and a bus to this end of Dun Laoghaire. That would not be feasible for a 7am start.

Its is a realistic commute.

you can do that in 1 hour on a motorbike each day, eastlink is free and no need to take the tunnel on a bike it saves very little time and costs to much. cost me €7 a day return + bike and insurance (€7).

The mathews coaches are great
it adds 45mins to the journey, mainly getting other busses across dublin
i found them impossible and was late, I found getting trains and connections was unreliable in terms of timing.

If driving it may be worth doing the loop round the M50 the M1 to M50 has been greatly improved and with the tolls of the M50 its free flowing.
If its a job where he can afford to use the tunnel and eastlink you could drive it.

in the end I did decided that it was only a matter of time before i came off my bike, several near misses in town mostly with Taxi drivers. but great fun.

There is/was a direct train from Drogheda to Dun Laoghaire (arrow) a few years back. If that's still going and the workplace is within a 15 minute walk then I would tend to go for that.

train from Drogheda @ 0609 will have him in DL for 0735 - its not possible to get there for 0700 by train.

first Matthews coach gets into Dublin at 0730 so I don't think he'd even be able to get to DL for 8 that way.

Only way to get there for 7 is to drive, which would be very expensive in the long run.

Back