Commute - Castleknock to Ranelagh

C

CORN DOG

Can anyone please advise on the quickest route from Castleknock to Ranelagh.

I am in the process of accepting a new position in Ranelagh (9am - 5pm) and would like to know the best route by car. Flexi time is not an option.

I have looked up AA route planner and it advsies using the M50, however i would like to avoid M50 if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Corndog

Through the Phoenix Park and follow the Grand Canal all the way up to Ranelagh. I think there's no right turn so you'd turn right just after Rathmines and nip in by Belgrave Square

I would do a trial run at rush hour (7am - 10am!) - very busy route. Could also go Knockmaroon Hill and South Circular Road.

My wife does this trip every morning.

Leaves house at 8:15, goes via M50 in the morning and in Rathgar/Ranelagh by about 9:20.
She comes home via city and Chapelizod in the evening as she finds getting onto the M50 too slow. Takes anywhere between 40 mins and 60 mins to get home.

J

I make the Chapelizod to Ranelagh trip quite often - the SCR route was very slow, the canal was better but not fast of course and I've never tried the M50 route. Going via Knockmaroon and Sarsfield Rd is quick enough as I've found Islandbridge to be a real bottleneck some days.
It will take close to an hour I'd say.
Be warned that they are planning to close Chapelizod village to through traffic so the surrounding roads might get a little bit busy sometime after the election.

i used to commute from D'brook to Ashtown, and it used to take about 40min in the morning- I know its the oppostite direction.. but if you head down the navan road into stoneybatter and go along quays, over o'connell bridge and out through baggot st, u can then cut up waterloo road and up apian way. quite direct, and once you're on the road b4 745 the traffic shouldnt be too bad.

I used to do this journey and this was my route...

Through the Phoenix Park, on to North Quays but take the first right off them (traffic is usually backed up, but majority of cars seem to be heading down as far as O'Connell bridge) across the bridge and up Watling St, left on to Thomas St... right onto Francis St... left at the end onto ? street, through the junction and take the next right on to Heytsbury St... left at top (beside Haddington St church).. follow road around the Bleeding Horse pub and out onto Charlemont St / Ranelagh.

Bit of a trek... always took about an hour... and that was 2.5 years ago...

How about taking the 37X bus instead ? Get it as far as Morehampton Road and walk up to Ranelagh. Would also heartilty recommend the cycle option (this is what I ended up doing!)

Agree with Gianni.

Having tried and tested all other routes known I've found this to be the quickest. If you're up to leaving early (circa 7am) you could do it an just over half an hour then have breakfast in work. In summer you can always leave up to half an hour later and still be in in the same length of time.

Back