Communal Land

NorthDrum

Hi,

I bought a semi detached house that has no front garden. Indeed my estate has only got communal carpark spots designated right outside our doorsteps.

I am on my residents committee and we are looking into the possibilty of acquiring this piece of land off the county councel. We are expected to keep the upkeep of this area, despite the fact we dont own it (grass and tarmacadum). Im not exactly sure if the County Counsel or the Builders own this land but am looking at applying to the appropriate parties on making it the individual residents.

There have been disputes about parking spots among other things and it would make life a whole lot easier for everybody if specific boundaries were applied (including specific spots for the people in apartments). Its only a small estate with around 65 residential properties so we are all in agreement on what we would like to do.

I am just putting out the feelers to see if anybody might have some advice on how we might go about trying to make the front of our houses part of our property!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Check your deeds and the lease agreements for the apartments. In our development, allocated parking is prohibited in the lease and an EGM to change that failed to gain majority support.

My concerns with buying land from the council are insurance and what happens when the time comes for the council to take the development in charge. It may also take an EGM to okay the purchaseof the land.

Hi NorthDrum,

Why do you want to acquire the land? Do you want to change its use?

Are you in located in Dublin or another county?
We've been told in Meath that the county council has no Parks Department and the council can't afford to cut the grass - not even on a main road, never mind in the estate.

This is something we are looking into, especially in relation to MInister's Gormley's request for county councils to provide Planning Guidance Concerning the Taking in Charge of Residential Estates

See http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/News/MainBody,16789,en.htm

Back