common travel

daredevil096

hi as i said in earlier message,going to old trafford with 11year old nephew in january.neither of us have passports but figured we would be fine with my driving license plus he doesn't need photo i.d according to ryanair website.
But after research on this website+wikipedia+various others,it appears the common travel agreement is ending jan 2009 which means i need passport.ive been in touch with irish passport office,who told me to get onto british embassy which i did.They were puzzled as to where i even heard that and told me to contact airline.
So does anyone know whats going on?????

...neither of us have passports but figured we would be fine with my driving license plus he doesn't need photo i.d according to ryanair website.
Whatever about the Common Travel Area, you need to refer back to the Ryanair site - they don't accept a driver's licence as photo ID. It's highlighted clearly in red type on their web-site, not buried in the T&C's.

I booked three tickets this AM, and noticed it.

For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom, to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued either by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

This is an extract from their website,they're conflicting themselves then.i realise driving license is only valid for airport check in ,not online check in. maybe thats what you encountered.

...i realise driving license is only valid for airport check in ,not online check in. maybe thats what you encountered.
Yeah, you're on the ball. I did the online checkin thing with boarding passes printed at home. Good spot.

Why don't you bring the car? By the time you'd have checked in with ryanair you'd be half way to holyhead. Manchester is just 2 hours drive from Holyhead, motorway pretty much all the way.
For short hops like this, the ferry is beginning to look a lot more attractive. When you add in the taxis at the other end, and the carparking here, the price is about the same.
I was in Liverpool a few weeks ago and I brought the car Plus her indoors; very relaxing trip and Mrs L brought back a lot of her Christmas shopping as well.