commercial rates

bobharris

Hi,

I'm currently looking to rent an office in dun laoghaire. The office is 1300 square feet and will cost around €13,000 pa in rent. It has never been occupied. The council say that commercial rates will be around €6,500 pa.

I have no experience with rates, but that seems to be an insane amount. Can anyone shed any light on that?

Thanks.

Rates

Check with Council for copy of valuation report- or existing landlord/ agent should have same. Appears unit was 'valued' on the basis of use. Often if you do not use all the unit and can prove to Council that this is true, you will get a discount.

Lots of anomalies with the valuation system- but only real way to change is have unit 'revalued' if there is some material change in use- but valuation can go up, as well as down.

Check with neighbouring offices and see what they are paying...

PM me if you need specific advice

you would need to check the Rateable valuation of the premises and the multiplier which Dunlaoghaire Council apply to give you your rates bill. I would check with other similar businesses in your area. We have recently been assessed for offices in Sligo (approx 1000 sq ft) for €1700 rates bill , so it seems to be cheaper down the country ! You can always try negotiating with the Council; many local authorities are by necessity doing this.

Negotiate

Unaware Council will allow negotiate a lower valuation- not within their power. However, they may allow 'easy payment terms' over an extended period, etc