Commercial Property - sell or rent?

CrazyOne

Hi,

This may seem like a very basic question but I'm in the situation of having to decide whether to sell or rent a commercial property in dublin suburbs. What are the pros and cons of each in the current economic climate?

A few facts and figures would be useful. I'm very interested in this subject.

I've rented,as a tenant, several shops in and around Dublin over the last 30-odd years. I'm still a tenant in one shop .
I also own a shop in Dublin -would love to sell it because it's getting harder to find and keep good tenants, and rents keep falling.

So many shops are shut that I reckon they're a worse investment than apartments -unless you're lucky enough to tie a blue-chip client into a binding lease and/or you're in a top location.

I predict there'll be half the number of retail premises in ten years -thanks to internet and giant shopping centres. So, if you can sell at a reasonable price (whatever that means nowadays) then do it.

But do post a few facts/figures.

The property is about 3,000 sq foot with shop front and car spaces at rear. It's in a south city suburb near the city centre. I've had wildly varying valuations from €100,000 selling price to €700,000 and also rental prices varying from 10,000 per year to 35,000 per year.

Another question - can you have two estate agents one targeting a rental market and one targeting the sales market?

quite a large shop- cant imagine anywhere you'd get a shop like that for under 20k probably more. Anyway -yes, you can have two seperate agents, though one good agent can do both and would be happy to try both. I'm using one agent in a crappy border location to try to either rent and sell a property.

However, why not first try for almost nothing daft.ie and other sites.