coming into around 80k, stocks? silver? deposit account? Help please

paperclip

Ok, I'm coming into around 80k in around 2 months, and I need some sort of game plan.

I'm currently living in China, teaching part time. My living expenses are very low, I reckon around $20 a day. (I always use $ when I'm traveling)

My Goals.
My main goal is to protect it... I keep reading about the "fall of the euro" etc... and converting to another currency such as sterling etc...

Ideally, I'd like to get a good return.

I believe the best thing to do is to spread it around.

Here's my plan, at the moment, which may be terrible, so please feel free to critisise it.

1) 15k in a readily available account... something with a small % return, 2 - 3%

2) 25k in commoties, probably silver.

3) 20k in some big blue chip companies, such as Tesco, Apple etc...

3) 20k in a 5 year term deposit account.

So... does this sound like a decent plan?

That sounds heavily over exposed to commodities - these tend to be very volatile so be prepared for some big swings (in either direction) in the value of your portfolio. By some measures silver is expensive relative to gold at the moment.

tvman seems correct. There is far to much emphasis placed on the Commodity sector. You might be best placing/Investing in ETFs, ones that are commodity based. Furthermore, itmight be best to have a stockbroker watch your money and keep an eye on it if you were unavailable or travelling to monitor same on a daily basis. If you want to invest in corporeates like Apple, you wont get to many shares for 20k !

As Woody Allen said,

"A Stockbroker is someone who invests your money until there is none left"

tvman seems correct. There is far to much emphasis placed on the Commodity sector. You might be best placing/Investing in ETFs, ones that are commodity based. Furthermore, itmight be best to have a stockbroker watch your money and keep an eye on it if you were unavailable or travelling to monitor same on a daily basis. If you want to invest in corporeates like Apple, you wont get to many shares for 20k !

ETF's eh... so, how would I go about buying these? Do I need a broker or something?

Remember, I know very little about all this.

ETF's eh... so, how would I go about buying these? Do I need a broker or something?
Remember, I know very little about all this.

Start by Googling ETFs and you see full explanations. These are in line with the markets and the specific sectors and/or commodities that are chosen. Operating costs of these are far less than other type of Investments.

Back