Come On You Spurs

Anyone think that Alex Ferguson will never win another trophy for the rest of his career? Given Man Us financial situation and dependancy on aging players who they cant replace, it looks like they're on the slide.

Is AAM turing into the BBC's 606 website. CSIRL, the exact same things where being said about utd 4 years ago and they went on and won 3 leage titles and a european cup since. As long as Fergie is there they will win trophies.

Technically it would be Olympique Marseille who were demoted to the French 2nd tier a year after they won the European Cup in 1993 for their financial and match-fixing charges.

Anyway, the United relegation of 1974 can be traced back to the Munich disaster in 1958. The emotional fall-out of winning the European Cup 10 years after Munich (and relief because they really should have won it on '66) was never addressed. You can't just throw out European Cup winners in 1968, relegated in 1974 without taking into account Munich in '58 and its long-term effects on that team and the club.

Of course I can see both sides, I just don't generally get all upset and right players off after a number of bad games. You are right about 11 v 11 but when people speak of squad depth they generally refer to those numbers outside of the first team.
I don't think there is a player that deserves to get the boot, but i do realise that there are better players in the same positions playing for other teams. I support the players we have rather than demand fantasy teams made up of footballs rich list. I enjoy supporting the team and watching them play, I also like to have some kind of connect with them i.e i never warmer to Ronaldo or Van Nistlerooy, but I always liked Forlan and wanted him to be a success, but he got the boot (too soon).

I never said they were the worlds greatest team, just that they didn't deserve undue criticism. I think every team has an embarrassing record, but i wouldn't call that embarrassing, its called football. Who do you support?

That's stretching things a bit.
Ah, bless...... Should they have had more group hugs?

I don't mean it in a sentimental way, I just mean that the club (mainly those that survived Munich) spent the next decade striving to win the European Cup to lay the ghosts of '58. They were spent, emotionally and physically, from the effort of reviving the club post-Munich and pursing that European Cup, especially with regards to Busby, Charlton and Foulkes. I just don't think the will was there to rebuild again for people like Busby by this stage and the decline set in fairly rapidly.

That's stretching things a bit.

Ah, bless...... Should they have had more group hugs?

You don't think the disaster would of had an effect on the club? Leaving aside club loyalties/bitter rivalries etc, would you not consider the tragic death of your friends and colleagues to be an incident that would have a bearing on you and those around you for some time?

Let's be honest, unless it's your own personal team, no other team wins or achieves success on merit. Even after a single victory, your rivals pick holes in the "luck" "jammy" "cheating" or whatever nature of the victory. God knows I do, but then that's part of the whole enjoyment of being a fan, not just the small limited glimmers of success you get in a lifetime, but the banter and the analysis down the pub or at work.

By that virtue, this season was a great season for the reason that it was a open league. No one wanted to win it, no one wanted to get fourth spot, no one wanted to get relegated, no one wanted a cup. It was open, it was surprising, it was depressing (pool fan here), it was unpredictable, it was entertaining (apart from pool matches).

C'est la vie, it's over and to the victor go the spoils.

The transfer window will be interesting this year. First, it's a World Cup year so prices will be elevated, but the problem is that again there isn't that much money available to most clubs. I can see a lot of moving about within the league rather than too many big signings from abroad.

Add to that you've Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Spurs, City, Villa, Liverpool and Everton all looking to strengthen for different reasons. There's going to be a lot of competition for players I think while we'll have the obligatory scramble for strikers, most of those clubs suffered as a result of midfield weaknesses.

Doesn't it say everything about modern football that a thread on congratulatiing Spurs on finishing fourth degenerates into a ManU ****ing contest?

I dunno....

I believe that most Man U fans admire Harry and how Spurs play football. Spurs have always had a tradition of playing entertaining and attacking football. Well done to them.

Man U have been written off every year as being at the end of an era for the past 5 seasons. They will make three or four signings this summer, without breaking transfer records, but, more signifficantly without breaking their wages threshold of about 150K per week. It will be them and Chelsea next year and either of them will win the Premiership.

The current team is the weakest in 15 years, yet, came within one point of matching Chelsea, who are not a great team. Look at Gary Neville, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand, Nani, Berbatov, Gibson, Obertan, Anderson, Park, O'Shea etc. Compare them to Paul Parker, Roy Keane, Bryan Robson, Gary Pallister, Steve Bruce, Lee Sharpe, Kanshelskis, Cantona, McClair Ince, Irwin etc of recent teams. Then look at the necessity in keeping Giggs and Scholes.

It says more about the shallow depth of the Pemiership pool. Bayern, an average team deservedly beat us and Inter beat Chelsea in the Champions League. Arsenal are remind me of the Ipswich team under Bobby Robson, playing attractive football, but, always beatable. Liverpool are the saddest case of all - a great club that has been mismanaged for over ten years by various CEO's and directors who have had no appreciation of the history and culture of the club.

When Ferguson goes, if there is money available for transfers Mourinho or Pepe Guardiola will take over, if budgets are as tight as at present for Fergie then Moyes or O'Neill will get the job.

Spurs, you have every chance of being the third best team after United and Chelsea and, who knows, maybe even join them at the top.

What about the Cottagers, they've done brilliant to get to the Euro Cup final. I hope they can pull another suprise win out of the bag tonight. COME ON FULHAM

What about the Cottagers, they've done brilliant to get to the Euro Cup final. I hope they can pull another suprise win out of the bag tonight. COME ON FULHAM

Great season and a great manager! They restore our faith in what sport is really about. Myself and three other Man U fans are having a barbeque and beers tonight before cheering on Duffer and Fulham! Georgie will be looking down too!

Beats me how Capello can select Heskey for the WC panel when Zamora is really on form.
A.Madrid are favourites though !

If you are perfectly honest, how many of the above would start at Chelsea or Arsenal? 1 or 2 at a push? How many would even start at Liverpool, who finished 7th? Maybe Rooney?

Man Us titles are all about Ferguson. Once he goes, they are in serious trouble. Its very noticeable that a lot of ex-Man U players who transfer to other clubs never reproduce their Man U form.

I think after 16 years, they should have come to terms with it.

I believe that most Man U fans admire Harry and how Spurs play football. Spurs have always had a tradition of playing entertaining and attacking football. Well done to them.

I have always liked Spurs. They are the one team who have consistently tried to play football against Man U. It hasn't worked out for Spurs but fair play for keeping to their traditions. Every other team at one time or another has come to OT and shut up shop. And before any one mentions Arsenal, don't!!!

I hope Spurs kick on and do well in the CL. The team deserve it.

I think after 16 years, they should have come to terms with it.

Its just a case of some people taking longer to deal with the tragic loss of young lives and colleageues. When everything that happened was entwined with winning the cup it is understandable that an outpouring of emotion would happen when they did win it.

Generally when a top club lets you leave it is because you are no longer regarded as a top club player. Some leave on their own accord like Ronaldo and continue as they left off.
Van der Sar is not as good as Reina, but playing better than Cech & Almunia.
O'Shea would be in with a shout at right back at any of them.
Would Vidic be better than Gallas, Skertel, Alex, Terry, Carragher? Many would say yes.
Same with Ferdinand.
Only Ashley Cole has played better than Evra at left back.
Nani wouldn't start but he would bench any of the top 4.

And on we go.
One last point Valencia has made no impact? That statement alone would suggest that your anti-red specs and well and truly on.

Harry didn't get another soaking last night, presumably because he was already soaked.
Things are getting better at WHL - it is about time though!
Should we spend the €25mill CL money or invest it in the stadium?
We could do with a Right Back and a Midfielder.

Triffic!

We could do with a Right Back and a Midfielder.

Agree completely.
What should not happen but probably will - 'Arry will go and buy another striker. He always does. Then he'll play 2 up front and get murdered by Inter and Werder.

For crying out loud! Normal service has been resumed!

Wigan lose 10-0 on aggregate in their first two home games and then come to The Lane and win 1-0.

I've been a Spurs fan since the mid 60s and they still manage to surprise me.