Come On You Spurs

Great pic - I remember McKay was just coming back from a broken leg and Bremner had been kicking him all afternoon. McKay showed admirable restraint in not beating the sh1t out of wee Billy.

as a depressed 'Pool fan, I have to congratulate Spurs - they play attractive football and I always admired Harry Redknapp. ALso well done Leeds.

In comparison 'Pool are pathetic, a shambles on & off the pitch. Benitez should get part-time work impersonating Ronald MCDonald, he's a spoofer of the highest order.

The only consolation is that its the worst United team in years - they didn't win anything this year.

Apart from the Carling Cup, and it being the worst united team in years should be more depressing for you as it shows exactly how far Liverpool have slipped.

At the risk of raining on anyone's parade, what Spurs have "achieved" is fourth place in a relatively poor league. The league itself was only ever a three-horse race at best and with Liverpool doing their best to self-destruct, fourth place was only really a competition for "least-bad" of the rest.

Not so long ago, fourth place wouldn't have even meant qualification for the old UEFA cup. That it's now almost a reason to get out the open-top bus is a reflection of how much the standard of football achievement has fallen to become measurable only by reference to cash prizes.

I doubt Bill Nicholson would ever have been comfortable at being celebrated for finishing fourth.

The only consolation is that its the worst United team in years - they didn't win anything this year.

I guess the League Cup doesn't count then. Still only finished 1 point behind the league winners. I think most United fans at the start of the season were hoping rather than expecting to win the league given the loss of Ronaldo and Tevez. Even with a modest budget this summer I still think Ferguson can shape a squad that will still challenge for all the major honours next season. Hargreaves and Anderson should be back. If the former can prove he's over his injury nightmare and the latter can being to fulfil his potential then the midfield should be ok. A few astute purchases and there'll be plenty of strength in depth in the squad although the first XI won't be 1999 or 2008 vintage.

What's a better league? Spain? Outside of Barcelona and Real Madrid the standard it not up to the Premier League. Italy? Germany? Inter and Bayern apart they're bascially one-horse races. You're not going to have "great" teams competing for fourth spot, otherwise they'd be challenging for top spot. The competition for fourth is better than ever and will continue next season. Given all that breaking into the top four and the possibility of a Champions League berth is a big achievement given the number of teams chomping at the bit to get in there.

The landscape of football has changed. The Champions League is the best football tournament ever. Better than the old-format European Cup (despite what the romantics think) and better than the World Cup. It's where all the best players and teams want to be. That's the prize Spurs have won for finishing fourth. Bill Nicholson wouldn't have been comfortable with Spurs' underachievement for the last 20-odd years either. Also, pre-Heysel even fifth spot would've earned an English team a place in the old UEFA Cup.

The landscape of football has changed. The Champions League is the best football tournament ever. Better than the old-format European Cup (despite what the romantics think) and better than the World Cup.

Not sure. The standard of football is higher but the format is still wrong. The group stages are a waste of time. Look at this years competition and see how many groups were decided before the last set of games.

Not sure. The standard of football is higher but the format is still wrong. The group stages are a waste of time. Look at this years competition and see how many groups were decided before the last set of games.

Not very many, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Real Madrid, Milan, Barcelona, Inter all had to wait until the final set of games to be assured of their qualification (or not) in the Last 16.

The bloated version in the early 00's that had 2 group stages wasn't a good idea but the current format would be hard to improve. It's either a complete knock-out or it moves to a proper European league format.

Apart from the Carling Cup, and it being the worst united team in years should be more depressing for you as it shows exactly how far Liverpool have slipped.

Ok I stand corrected, well done United for winning the Carling Cup

Its not that long ago Fergie was rubbishing this competition.

Being honest, we finished 2 points above Everton who were bottom 3 or thereabouts just before Xmas.

Staples, you are right - Spurs only finished 4th and have to playoff for the Champions League. Still thpugh better than us.

And all with the exception of Juventus got through easily. There is at least one whipping boy in every group. How many teams got zero points from six games? One or two I would say. The English clubs all qualified without breaking sweat. (We won't include Liverpool!!) The group stages always favours the big teams because the chances of one of the smaller clubs causing an upset in a league format is minimal. It is only when you get to the last 16 that the playing field evens up and makes things much more intersting.

They should go to complete knock out but that's not going to happen so they should reduce the number of groups and make them much more evenly matched. Have 6 groups. Top two go through together with the top 4 third place finishers from the different groups.

I'd have to disagree with this. The united squad has very little depth and man for man is quite average in Premier league terms. Its all down to Fergusons skill as a manager. Without Ferguson, the same squad of players would struggle to finish mid table.

+ 1

Hargreaves certainly cannot be relied on to remain fit , in Germany he was known as " the English Patient " and Anderson at best is
a squad player.

I have the utmost respect for Giggs and Scholes but time marches on and I don't see anybody coming through to pick up the mantle.

Astute signings are one thing but essentially the Market is going to be dominated by City and Chelsea , I think that the bigger clubs should be thanking their lucky stars that Spurs pipped City to 4th as if City could offer European Champions league competition to new players then they could pick and choose signings .

But last year's market was dominated by Real and City. Now how did that work out for them?

It is possible that Spurs, United and Arsenal can pick up very good players for reasonable money. Mind you, they better wait til City are looking the other way.
As a United fan I hope they sign an attacking midfielder (£10-15m+), a striker (£25M+) and a goalkeeper (£5-7m). Selling Berbatov and Vidic should make £40M back.

I don't think Spurs need that much apart from a reliable non-injury prone centre half.
Arsenal - God, where do I begin? Let's start with a goalie. Then a midfielder who is not made out of china. Then a striker who is not made out of china. Oh, and at least one player who can tackle.

I agree that although it was City's best season in years and Real have racked up their highest points total ever the reality is that the season has ultimately been a disappointment for both clubs,

Historically however it has always proved difficult to embed a winning team in one season but look out next year !

40 million for Vidic and Berbatov !

Vidic is good but 39 Million !

Still Josh should be flying fit for next year.

Vidic is good but 39 Million !

Very good.

I wasn't just talking about the performances but the players. Adebayor and Santa Cruz cost over £43M. It looks highly unlikely that either will be at City next year.

Kaka and Benzema didn't exactly set the Bernabeu on fire. Kaka will most likely stay to save face but Benzema is a different matter.

Anyone think Rooney will be at City next year?

Uniteds owner could do with the money - got burned by Madoff. If City offer 100m, the Glazers wont refuse.

Well if you examine this further you get the following;
1.Van der Sar, he may have only 1 or 2 more seasons left, but he is still a top Goalkeeper.
2.John O'Shea has finally gotten the recognition his play deserves after becoming an integral part of the Irish set up.
3.Vidic is generally regarded as one of the best centre halves in the world.
4.Ferdinand has his critics but is still a class act and an ever present in the England set up.
5.Evra would get into any team, and is consistently one of our top performers.
6.Nani is one of the most improved players this season and has shown more than enough this season to give hope for next year.
7.Valencia has had a great first season at the club and seems to be under-rated.
8.Park has also just gained recognition for his input to the team.
9.Scholes is on his last legs but those legs are still more capable than most midfielders in open play.
10.Rooney, enough said
11.Berbatov, the fac that the jury is still out doesn't bode well for him, but he has as many admirers as he has detractors, I think he could still be there next year.
So from 1-11 it doesn't look bad and add the following and things don't look so bad.
12.Giggs, again coming to a finished but has plenty to offer until he hangs up his boots.
13. Owen, I don't understand his criticism this year as he has been a good goal threat and a very impressive squad player.
14. Carrick, poor season by his own standards but still a fine player.
15. Brown, consistent defender, strong fullback/centre half
16. Neville, 1 year left but can do a job when needed.
17.Hargreaves, if he has recovered then he is a super holding midfielder.
18. Anderson, looks great then disappears, he has a season to do the former consistently or away he goes.
19. Raphael, looks very promising and should be vying for a consistent slot in defence.
20. Obertan, looks really promising and has had some real impact in his first season.
21. Evans, commanding centre half, looks a star player.
22. Fletcher, has grown in stature this season.

Add in the promise of Macheda, Wellbeck, Gibson (in fairness he has shown more than promise).

Doesn't look too bad, but there's no doubting a bit of added class is required.

Anyone think Rooney will be at City next year?

Uniteds owner could do with the money - got burned by Madoff. If City offer 100m, the Glazers wont refuse.

If he wanted more money he would be gone already, I think he has already nailed his colours to the mast.

MrMAn
You are obviously clinically obsessed with the colour red - Manure red ! As with all Manu supporters, you can only see the positive side of the club.
In the list above of 25 , you have only denigrated one player, ie Mr Anderson (though he still has a season to redeem himself I see !)
I thought that in football you had to play against 11 men, not a whole squad.

If they were all that good, you would have won the Premiership by Easter and beaten Bayern Munchen 5-0 in each leg.
But you did neither.
Let us not forget that Manure still hold the embarrassing record for being for being the quickest team to be relegated after winning the European Cup - 6 years . As you may have forgotten, I remind you that in 1974 a certain Man. City player (was his name Law?) sent them down with a neat back dink.
Oh how the mighty fell !
History can repeat itself - roll on 2014