Combining Rigid insulation & fibreglass in attic?

apple1

Folks,

Began insulating my attic space yesterday & while the rafters are deep enough to accomodate 125mm kingspan & still retain a 50mm ventilation path, the truss tye (horizontal section of the truss) will only accomodate 80mm kingspan. I cannot squeeze 125mm into it as there is 4 x 1 bracing running across all the tye sections. I was therefore going to fit the 80mm between the tyes & run 200mm fibreglass over the tyes in the void above, & composite plasterboard on the underside of the truss. Is there any value to be gained by using a combination of the two (rigid phenolic & fibreglass) to increase the amount of insulation fitted? I know Syd woud advocate fitting the kingspan all the way to the ridge, but with the bracing, it would be a right pain in the ass & wouldn't necessarily lend itself to a good snug fit in any event as it gets very awkward in the confined space. Appreciate any advice, apple1

Wish I understood half the lingo/jargon you are using - but want to say I sought MORE insulation for my (30 year old) house but was told by a builder/insulation guy- that the rafters are only deep enough for what was initially laid and if I proceeded I would need to get each rafter topped up- or a piece of wood added on for depth- it would be twice as expensive... so I decided to get more advice on it from somebody else who knows more about it than I do. Does this make any sense to you? any ideas, advice or reflections for me?

Back