Combined mains, coax and CAT5 wall sockets?

fullerand

Hi,

Am hoping to move our TV, XBox, etc. into a new corner in the living room. At present the corner has no mains, coax or CAT5, all of which I'll need wall sockets for.

I've been looking around to try to find combined wall sockets for these, with no luck so far. Anyone know of any? Can't help thinking that three seperate sockets wouldn't look the best (it'll be behind the TV but it'd still annoy me :) )

thanks
a

Hi Fullerand,

I've just finished chasing walls and wiring for both tv points and cat6.
What I did was buy back boxes which will allow you put 2 single front plates on.
They're identical to standard double boxes but have 4 screws rather than 2.
see below
* = screws
FP = Front Plate.
------------------
|........|.|...........|
* FP1 * * FP2 *
|........|.|...........|
------------------
So this will allow 1 Inet & 1 TV point on the same box.

I know it's not including mains but you might be able to get box like above for 3.
or INET & TV in 1 double and 2 mains on another double box.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Wolverine.

Ooh, good idea, thanks for that.

I might actually put in two double boxes one atop the other : one for coax&cat5, the other for two mains sockets. Would look better than three single boxes

Check out the clipsal faceplate range, they are modular and you can have 4 cat 6 points on one single faceplate or a combination of coax and cat6 etc

Clipsal range looks the business. I see they can be ordered online from the UK, but do you know anyone here who stocks them?

ta

Go to wood Communicatuions in the Ballymount ind Est.
They supply all the kit you require.

Cheers, do they have a walk-in shopfloor for browsing or is it phone/online orders only? Site doesn't say and it's too late to call and I'm too impatient to wait to find out tomorrow :)

You might need to rethink the arrangement if you have a digital TV. We had a new aerial to go with our digital LCD TV and the installer brought the coax through the wall, through the existing TV socket, having first removed the metal plate, and plugged the coax direct into the TV.
He told me that fixing the coax to the plate and plugging a length of coax into the socket on the faceplate and then to the TV would cause major degradation of picture quality.

Back