Combi Boiler Oil options

Happy_Harry

Doing up plans for the conversion of the attic space into 2 bedrooms + ensuites and walk in wardrobe. As part of this, I am reviewing heating and hot water options. I would really like to get a combi boiler, as it means you don't need a hot water storage tank, nor would you seem to need a water tank up the attic. But I am just not sure if my water pressure is sufficient ( private well) for this purpose and if there are other considerations to be made.

Who could advise me of my options ? My architect doesn't believe I don't need a hot press, so I basically need to get some advice soon, before the plans are drawn.
Could anyone recommend a firm that could advise me about my options.

I would find out what your flow rate is, talk to a plumber first, from there you can decide if you need to boost the pressure and if a combi is going to work for you. One problem you may have is when two or more hot taps are on, you may find the flow rate drops off, so look for the combi with the best performance, try Precision heating ltd, Dublin, i have always had good advice from them or you could try ringing the technical departments of a couple of manufactures, once you know your flow rate .

If you have your own private well then the flow rate is likely to be within your control. A Reliable combi would certainly be very nice for attic en-suites. I agree precision heating are likely to both advise and supply what you need if water is considered suitable.

I was in the same position as you about eight years ago and decided to go the combi-boiler route.

I've learned three things about them since then.

The good first - Installation is a breeze, and when they work they are a brilliant system

But - they have a lot of very sensitive parts, and need to be well maintained. If one little valve does a wobbler you're stuck for heating and hot water from your taps... and this invariabley happens the day before Christmas, or when you get back from a long and overheated flight in the middle of a cold-snap on a Saturday night. It's an all or nothing system.

Back