Com Ports

CrazyWater

Ok this is a bit techie but maybe someone out there can help.

Problem description: Internet connect via modem and standard phone line not working. In the device manager the modem is reported to be working normally and troubleshooting suggest a Port conflict. It then suggest to check the Ports in the device manager.

The problem is that the no ports are listed in the device manager.

Any advice/suggest much appreciated.

Is the modem an external one connected via a serial port or an internal (win)modem card connected through a PCI slot? The latter will use some sort of "virtual" COM port that may not appear in the Device Manager.

Did this means of communication ever work? If so then what changed between it working and it breaking?

Internal modem listed as being connected to com3. PC is quite new and it did work. However something happened their (its my nephews PC) phone and it was out of action for about 2 weeks. Eircom fixed the phone but now this is the situation with the pc.
Thanks

hi if you are in western part of Ireland ,may be due to lightning,
lots of phone/it damage there about 2 weeks ago,if so replace modem

Usually somewhere in the dial-up networking configuration or perhaps a modem control panel applet you can get to a raw command line interface for sending commands to the modem. If you can find this (can't recall offhand where it might be) then try entering AT (or some other AT commands) to see if you get anything back from the modem. If you don't get "OK" then there is definitely something wrong with communication to the modem or the modem itself.

Hyperterminal is what you may be thinking of, clubman.
On my windows 2000 machine, it is under Programs->Accessories->Communications.
If you can launch this, select your com port from the 'Connect Using' drop down list, then try the AT command.

Yeah - that would do :eek: but there is another way to get a raw console to the modem somewhere in the dial-up networking configuration or modem specific (?) control panel applet if I recall correctly.

There could be still problem with phone line.
I had two lines in the house few years back and modem would work on one and would not on the other. Even both line can make perfect voice calls.
Brocken one should get dailing tone but just not able to connect to internet.

Dose your modem get the dailing tone and high pitch noise?

Yeah - that would do :eek: but there is another way to get a raw console to the modem somewhere in the dial-up networking configuration or modem specific (?) control panel applet if I recall correctly.

yep , hyperterminal..... connects and sends commands directly to the modem...

also check the modem drivers.... out of date drivers (look for 2002 or later) can cause this problem on xp...

Back