Coloured Plaster

D

Dace

Can anybody offer an info on the coloured plaster finish on the outside of the house? I heard it's suppose to last 10 years & think it gives a lovely finish but our Builder isn't recommending it. He says it not that hard wearing & wants to go with a nap finish. Also, says you'll end up painting over it & it'll be harder to paint.

Any advise appreciated.

I have only heard bad reports about it too! Not a huge range of colours available and if you put a ladder up against the walls, it comes off and can't be retouched! I think Fleming Constr. used it on one of their developments - maybe Rushbrooke?

Hi,

I am currently building a house too. i wanted that coloured plaster finish but last week we got a price off of plaster he told us to stay away from the colour plaster cos its only guranteed for 10 years, its fairly expensive and it soaks up the rain.

I don't know if this is true or not as colour plaster is a fairly new thing.

I think we are going to plaster it with lime through the plaster to make it white.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't actually heard anything bad about it so, good to get the feedback. I guess it isn't around long enough to know how long it'll last.

Another problem:
If there is damage to the plaster finish (e.g. for flue for boiler, extra window, replacing windows etc.) , you can't match the colour and you'll have to paint it anyway.

[broken link removed] is the name of a company that does this in Galway.
A good few sites around that they have done so you could see it if you needed too.

Richard

Am currently building by direct labour so I'm communicating directly with the plasterer. He recommends only the white colour plaster. I tend to agree with him as any other new houses I've seen with other colours look very patchy. Part of the house has been plastered already and it looks perfect.

have a look at - our house (2 year old estate) is plastered with this stuff and we've no problems

Back