Cologne - Hotels.

BOXtheFOX

Hi, I am heading off to Cologne in the new year. I am interested in first hand recommendations for a hotel near the Cathedral and train station. I have shortlisted about 7 hotels but would love to hear recommendations from other people who have stayed there.

I stayed in the Caprice a couple of times. Website is :

[broken link removed]

There is no English on the website, but a good place to book ( or to view other hotels ) is
http://www11.hrs.de/

The cathedral is only about 5 minutes away, and there are lots of lovely restaurants in the area, and you are just 1 minute walk from the river. Very friendly staff also.

ps. for info and reviews on any hotel, a very good site is

Yes. Thanks for that. The Caprice was one of the 7 shortlisted along with the Central Am Dom its sister hotel. So far Octopustravel.com and bookings.de have the best rates but this often changes. Did you ever visit the chocolate factory?

I stayed at the Euro Garden last year (for the Christmas markets), was ideal - only 5 mins walk from the train station, very clean and comfortable. They only serve breakfasts, but thats not a problem in the city center. Can't find an official website but here's a link:

http://www.bookings.nl/hotel/de/eurogardenzentrcolog.en.html?aid=303234

I did visit the chocolate factory, was well worth the visit. If at all possible for you to visit during the Christmas Markets, I really recommend it! There are three separate ones all within walking distance of the Euro Garden.

If you need any other info, let me know!

Govinda, Many thanks. I had deleted this one from my list as it was over my limit of €100 per night. I will reinstate it and hopefully as I get nearer the date the prices will move in my favour. Incidentally is it a simple procedure getting the train from the airport to the main station?.

Sorry, I'm only seeing this reply now.

It is, once you know what you're doing. The airport train station has ticket machines, self-service but even in English the ticket options didn't make much sense (I have basic German).

The best thing to do is to buy your tickets at the train station office (which is the other side of the terminal from the self-service machines). Don't forget to validate the ticket before you get on the train by putting it through the machines on the platform!

If you need any further info, feel free to send me a PM

ATB