Collon - county louth - any opinions

Henny Penny

Hi Folks,

My brother is considering buying a house in Louth and commuting to Dublin. He does a lot of travelling to Belfast as part of his job - hence the location. Any views on Collon as a place to live? What is the village like? Anywhere to be avoided?

Thanks in advance

Hi Folks,
What is the village like? Anywhere to be avoided?

Haven't been through it in a couple of years and I wouldn't doubt that a few new estates have popped up, but even so, the village is really very small, so 'areas to be avoided' probably doesn't really arise.

At least one pretty good restaurant - if it's still there.

I grew up near collon (havent lived there in 10 years), personally I think Collon is ok, but I wouldnt move there in a fit.

There realy is very little going on in the town and limited shops, schools etc..

Joejoe

Hi there,

I have been to Collon a few times due to my job and although it is very, very small (seems like just one street!!), it appears to be a quiet, peaceful place to live. Motorway links are quite good as well, particulary as he needs to commute to Dublin. I travel the county of Louth extensively with my job and with the motorway, a lot of previously out of the way locations have now become very accessible due to the motorway. Ardee is quite a bustling town now with lots of property potential and again it is minutes from the motorway. As well as Ardee and Collon, you also have Tallanstown, Dunleer, Castlebellingham and quite a number of rural little townlands that he may quite like. Even Drogheda should be considered as I have always found this to be a decent town with lots of activity to keep him busy if he likes the social scene, lots of shopping centres, clubs and great pubs. He could also consider Dundalk if he doesnt mind the extra 25 minutes up the motorway. I think he should take some time out and just drive round these places and see where he fancies really. He has an amazing amount of choice and with the current climate in the property market if he is buying he may pick himself up a reasonable priced house!!

Hope this helps,

Regards

Collon is a nice area. No bad areas to speak of as it is quite small.
I would defo do a run to check timings re commuting to Dublin and do it at the times you will be going.
Other places that are near and have similar prices would be Tullyallen Co Louth/Slane Co Meath/Donore Co Meath/Drogheda Co Louth.
All the places mentioned would be better for commuting to Dublin ie that small bit nearer the motorway etc and all would be slightly bigger than Collon except Tullyallen but this is so near Drogheda that has all facilities available.

As Collon is on main rd traffic moves through town very fast and this would be an issue for anyone with children.

Great woodland walk throught the monastry - this has to be worth alot. Its owned by the Cistersians and as far as I know they allow locals to roam. Wood has some wild deer.

Best of luck

Louth Lass has mentioned it, I too think Ardee is worth a look, 10 minutes further north on the N2, but only a few minutes from the M1 via the new link road, good size town with most of the essentials, plenty of all types of homes at very reasonable prices.

Louth Lass has mentioned it, I too think Ardee is worth a look, 10 minutes further north on the N2, but only a few minutes from the M1 via the new link road, good size town with most of the essentials, plenty of all types of homes at very reasonable prices.

Ardee has a pretty bad conjestion problem, well at least it had just a short number of years ago.

Joejoe

Collon is a grand place,but quite far from a large town,Ardee on the other hand is fairly large and a lot going on,but quite far from Dublin.Tullyallen is right beside Drogheda and slip road onto the M1 which feeds belfast and Dublin.Best for him to check them all out over a few weeks rather than jumping in.It seems Drogheda is the best choice if he's coming from the city and wants a bustling lifestyle...all depends on what he wants...Quite quite or quite and somewhere to go out!!

Back