Coincidence - I don't think so!: BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award Phone Poll

almo

I know this is probably petty and maybe even incorrect, but since the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award is a phone poll, was it just a little strange that the morning of the awards a full back page article appears about Darren Clarke "finding love just 4 months after the death of his wife"? Plus the articles that appeared regarding young Zara (is she looking more like a horse with eac passing month?) actually working - hurrah!

I got up this morning and on Sky news it's all bombast about Zara wining the award.

Am I alone in the world?

does anybody know what she achieved,I fell asleep during the program & when I woke up & saw HRH getting the award I couldn't believe it-what did she do this year.As for Clarke,he definitely shouldn't have got the award(it would have been purely a sympathy award).
I don't think it should have been awarded this year-MUST DO BETTER

I used to watch this programme religiously each year. Then, after Damon Hill won the big prize for failing to win the Formula 1 driver's championship, I finally realised that it is all a load of twaddle.

Zara Philips did win a world championship but in an event that only the BBC takes seriously cos it's lost many of the sports it once covered.

Let's put it this way, shouldn't her horse be winning the award! I felt sorry for Beth Twaddle who came 3rd, she's top line gymnast, won a world title and has been competitive for years, but she's not a royal, she's from Liverpool and it doesn't suit the BBC or their paymasters to have her win.

Saturday and Sunday saw big pushes for HRH, and I wondered why wasn't Andy Murray getting some more publicity, though he was probably too tired!

and what about that chap from little britain who the bbc made sure couldn't quality, even though he had more votes at one stage for nomination than that dart player.

Almo, why the insult in saying that Zara Phillips is looking like a horse. If you dont agree with her winning sports personality of the year just say so and forget the insults. By the way she is not a HRH and never has been.

honestly thought she deserved it, her or Beth, after all Darren Clarke would have been a sympathy vote.

but what the heck was she wearing?

I thought the snooker players (Hunter?) wife gave a very moving speech and Zara just mumbled.

She did say that she had no anticipation of winning, and hadn't prepared a speech.

Yes, sorry, I shouldn't have made the observation, it has been growing since she padded her way into her Uncle's 2nd wedding, a shocking sight and one that was totally unexpected.

Surely though this award is about personality plus achievement, or should it be renamed as Sportstar of the Year? And could it not be renamed "British" sportstar of the year.?

Back