Coin Valuation

Marco 1972

I have inherited a Quality Sreet tin of old coins full to brim of Victorian and Edwardian era coins with odd Georgian and 20th C irish coins mixed in, basically selection from 1790 onwards. Dont know if they are of much value, any advice appreciated of where to get them valued/traded in.

Let us know how this goes. I also have a box of old coins and stamps.
Its all gathering dust at the moment, will probably hand it down to the grandchildren. Am wondering how much the charges would be for the valuation.
I could be sitting on a fortune.. In which case, the grandkids can go and make their own luck!!

I however would be worried about leaving it with somebody to value in case something went missing, so interested how the process works.

This is an old post I had an interest in.
Any more recent suggestions?
I will try Collectibles Corner.

A few questions though.

Will the valuer take the items out of my sight?
I would be wary of leaving my collection with somebody.
I could take photos of everything beforehand but thats a lot of effort and even if something did go missing or was swapped, I may not even notice.

you could always just do a quick search on ebay to get an idea
I did that.. a couple of coins I looked at ranged from €3000 to €2 for exactly the same one.
I think eBay is just full of chancers.

I remember reading about a guy used to sell turf in single briquettes to Yanks for a ridiculous sum before on eBay.

I did that.. a couple of coins I looked at ranged from €3000 to €2 for exactly the same one.

I remember reading about a guy used to sell turf in single briquettes to Yanks for a ridiculous sum before on eBay.
you can do a search on items sold which will give you a better indication.

And yes, I recall someone selling air in a bottle to the yanks as well.

Coins are very difficult to value by a lay person. One of the main things is the condition of the coin. A coin might look ok if you just look at it. Your man will come with a magnifier and see all the scratches and tiny holes you would not see yourself. Such damage does seriously devalue a coin.
When I read something about a collection of coins in a tin box I know already that most of it is probably worthless junk. Unless the coins are kept separate in special folders, each on its own, you have very little chances of getting good money for it.
Take a Krugerrand from 1967. Mint condition in its original folder. You will get serious money for it because it is a collectors item and much sought after. Take the same coin but with some tiny scratches- and you will only get the current gold price minus a fee for it.
The same can be said about stamps.

Collectibles Corner would be very trustworthy. I would have no fear of them cheating you in any way.

But as @Forumuser says, they are most likely junk. And a dealer might not want to spend time assessing them.

Brendan

Surprised there are no electronic scanners available to do this do, seems very antiquated, a physical examination, especially wheen there a large amount of coins involved...

Back