Coeliac disease and lidl bread maker any good?

coleen

Hi There has been a bread maker available in lidl for a few weeks now has anyone bought it, I want to use it for making gluten free bread. It says it has a gluten programe. Any other advice on where you can get good value gluten free products welcome. A family member has just been diagnosed as coeilac, she is a college student and is finding it difficult to get things to eat on the go any advice please

Re: lidl bread maker any good

Tesco have some own-brand bread, biscuits etc. that are gluten-free. Some of the [broken link removed] will send you free samples if you write to them. Also, coeliacs can get [broken link removed] on special gluten-free food purchases -- rest of that site is also worth exploring.

As to food on the go, difficult one. She could carry rice-cakes or bread with her and just look for fillings and salads instead of whole meals. Most restaurants are familiar with the condition and can advise which foods are suitable (watch out for sauces, soups, etc. that may contain wheat or related cereals as binding agents.).

Re: lidl bread maker any good

Both my sister and I were diagnosed with coeliac disease over 10 years ago. She bought a bread maker a few years back thinking she'd be able to make really nice bread etc She used it about twice and then gave up! In fact she's been trying to off load on me for a while now, but I'm not interested! As MugsGame says Tesco have an own brand line which is very good value- they have a very nice brown bread. For ordinary bread I like Juvela- but it has to be microwaved or toasted to eat.

Food on the go is the most difficult thing for a coeliac. Really in my experience unless you go to a restuarant and ask specifically for a g-free meal ( which restaurants are becoming very proficient at), you are left with salads ( check dressings) and bring your own bread. There are some rice & lentil/ potato things in a pot that look like pot noodle that you just pour boiling water into- they are made by trufree ( www.trufree.co.uk ) which are available in many supermarkets.
The coeliac society does a cookbook which is quite good, but in general you can cook just about everything from scratch g-free too at home quite easily- you don't need special recipes- except for baking where you need yeast or self raising flour- these recipes just don't work in my experience with g-free flour.
I might be shot down for this one but I tend to buy chips if all else fails- I know strictly speaking that you are not supposed to because the chips could be cooked in the same oil as nuggets or breaded items, but I find them ok. Also Kellogs cornflakes are fine, although again I think strictly speaking they are not in the handbook.

Things have changed a great deal for the better in the ten or so years that I have been diagnosed, its pretty easy now.