Cobh and around East Cork?

Gerbera

Looking to move to a new area, around East Cork, have read mixed reviews on 'Cobh'. Reviews I've read go back to 2005 and up to 2007. Any information greatly appreciated.

Re: Cobh

Cobh is a very mixed area - it has a lot of social problems but it also has some amazing houses with great harbour views. Would recommend that you spend some time there - particularly on a Friday or Saturday night - and talk to people from the area to see what you think. You will get a lot of house for your money in Cobh.

Only renting. Thinking of Cobh because it has a train line to the city, it has as much in the town as where we're based now (Fermoy area). If I didn't need links into the city, I'd choose along the coast (Ballycotton) but as I don't have access to a car and there won't be any buses or trains to the city from there, Ballycotton or coastline not an option. We also want to keep on the North side of Cork city if possible. Looking at Glounthaune but really nothing there except the train line. Fota/Midleton/Rushebrooke. Someone says there are no accessible paths in Rushebrooke so that's not looking good. Any info on these areas would be much appreciated, thanks.

Midleton is a good commuter town, decent enough bus links and the train coming as well. Don't think there is any shortage of rental accomadation there. Plenty of sports clubs and other amenities, albeit the night life isn't brilliant.

Agree with the previous poster around Cobh's social problems.

You can get a 3 bed semi in cluain ard, cobh for like €210,000.
Traffic can be a nightmare if you are commuting to the City.

Not buying, only renting. Would only be commuting by train and have tried it on a Saturday, takes 25mins into Cork. Then there's the walk into the city! Wouldn't depend on Midleton for train links, completion date could be ages away yet.

rushbrooke is a nice aea with plenty of paths! the train link is reliable and affordable runs every half hour at peak times hourly after that. There is a bus that runs from the station into the city centre and beyond. Cobh like any town has social problems. however, look at the amazing views and stunning houses. rental is very treasonable compared to many other satillite towns. Good luck with your hunt.

wasn't there an incident there a few yrs ago where the yobbo's held the garda station under seige ....... 'twas like Fort Apache -the Bronx kinda thing.