Cobblelock

Status
Not open for further replies.

karly

Hi,
I am looking to buy the REAL OLD COBBLELOCK such as was laid in smithfield.I am getting garden taken out and want to lay stones and cobblelock.However,the prices i have been quoted are 5 euro per stone(i need circa 2000 stones).Would appreciate any help or comments.

Thanks,
Karly

Is that for materials only? Because laying old style cobbles is a pretty labour intensive job so that will probably cost a few bob too!

Yes.I will supply cobbles and labour is extra.Have a good builder who is recommended.But I want to source cobblelock myself if I can get at right price.He has quoted on job without cobblelock.

Be careful who you buy from. Some unscrupulous dealers sell on cobbles nicked from (possibly protected) public areas.

Try wilson's in N.I. they have everything, I have bought quite a bit of stuff of them over the past few years. They have everything, I would be surprised if they dont have old cobble. Also try the uk there are a number of companies that supply old cobble.

Joejoe

You're paying a premium based on 40 Old cobbles/sq m which means € 200/sq m. Professional rates for laying Cobbles/Setts on a wet mix base would be € 120/sq m (for intricate work, basic patterns < € 100.00).

If you're willing to spend € 5k + on cobbles, who & how much has been spent on designing the new layout?

You should be able to get much much better rates than that, both for the cobble and the labour.

Scaper, where are you getting the rates from??

Joejoe

Its not likely you will be doing much work for me (Contractor / Developer) then, are your rates incl of VAT?

Joejoe

No problem Joejoe, and your reaction wouldn't upset me. In any business anyone can be cheap and but much more difficult to offer a consistent, reliable and available professional service. Our high competitive standards are firmly established and endorsed by many and our market position is not at discount levels.

In my experiences developers (but fortunately not all) are more willing to trade standards for cost savings. Just look around the city for plenty of 'bottom of the barrel' standards of workmanship.

Anyways we do have some major commercial clients and frequently with bookings 12 months + I'm confident we're sufficiently competitive when it comes to pricing. When it comes to developers we are very selective, but least of all for cost reasons.

Well said Scaper. It's a pity all workfolk didn't have the same ethics. There's way too many bad examples of poorly laid paving in this country.

Well said Scaper. It's a pity all workfolk didn't have the same ethics. There's way too many bad examples of poorly laid paving in this country.

Thats right Harbour, glad to say all our projects are of a high standard and it starts well below the cobble and finishes well above it.

We are builder firstly and secondly a developer and focus on value for money, we pay a fair price for good quality workmanship. It is my experience todate that people in and outside of the industry still pay a premium for lip service, we try our best to avoid that and pass a high quality, value for money product on to the client or buyer.

Glad to hear there is still ethics out there...

Joejoe

Status
Not open for further replies.