Cobblelock, concrete and lawns

Pavlik

When the builder was laying our cobblelock driveway, it appears that they poured concrete and then laid the edging on top of it (without haunching). This has led to a situation where the lawn nearest the driveway is composed of 1.5 inches or so of topsoil sitting on a thin layer (1 inch) of concrete.

This leads to drying out etc. of the lawn edges. Also, it means I cannot edge the lawn as I would wish.

Anyway, I am interested in ways of dealing the situation. I've thought of:

1. Removing the concrete using a chisel (builder said this was probably safe to do, but I am wary)
2. Removing topsoil and grass on top of the concrete, edging the lawn and covering the concrete with gravel
3. Adding topsoil to the lawn, so that the grass has an extra couple of inches of topsoil (I've seen one house in the estate which appears to have done this)

I'm sure this must be a common problem. Would anyone care to share their thoughts?

serotoninsid said:
why not take advantage of the situation. Make a thin concrete mowing strip - or could also be done with brick.

I suppose the issue is how to go about making it flush. I should make it clear that the concrete is not even - it is just the overflow from the blocks being plonked down, as far as I can see.

To create a mowing strip then would involve

a) pouring additional concrete, or
b) removing the existing concrete and laying blocks as described in pavingexpert.com

I suppose my main concern is that removing the existing concrete would remove necessary support from the driveway.

you would remove the support for the existing cobble - a little extra top soila nd grade it back in should solve the problem

Back