coal effect electric fires - help

NOAH

Got a new firepalce and mantlepiece fitted and bought electric fire with coal effect from same place, BUT when I tried to fit the electric fire it will not fit. went back to supplier and they suppiled another one that does fit but has a gap at top and uses a mirror to reflect the flames but it looks far from real. Went to another shop yesterday, they lent me a fire from showroom, it was in the same type of cast iron hearth i had bought but this fire is too big as well.

I thought a fire opening was bog standard ie was a standard opening.

Wife is gutted and the price we paid was not cheap.

What do I have to do to get a proper job done?

Any good place in Ireland for such a fire with a big choice?

noah, suicidal

Last edited:
I must say I thought fires were standard sizes as well. 16" or 18"

If you look at http://www.dimplex.co.uk they have a range of fires in both sizes, or if you Google 'inset electric fire'

Surely the people that sold you the fireplace have a responsibility to sort it out. Did they sell you an odd size?

Thanks for link. As for size, so did I. I have tried everywhere for a coal effect to fit a cast iron opening and the end result there is none. I have given up, I am going to use a fire supplied by tripp and called a lombard. It fits the openingbut is not high enough. I am going to prop it up and learn to live with it. I now know I got duff advice but hey what changes.

Apparently to get a fire that will fit fairly snugly you have to leave out the fire brick!!!! I was not told that.

noah