Co. Mayo - Rural Areas

johnjoda

Hi, i am looking to relocate to co.mayo,( rural areas) any suggestions on where ?

Re: co. mayo

There are plenty of rural areas in mayo johnjoda it just depends on how rural you want to go. I live in the country surrounded by fields my kids national school is a mile from me yet the town of ballina is just 4 miles away i'm in to work in 10 minutes in the morning and the town of castlebar is 40 minutes drive.

what parts of mayo have you been to Johnjoda what area appeals to you ?

Cong is nice and rural in a touristy kind of way.

Belmullet / Achill is nice and rural in a wild atlantic kind of way.

Claremorris is nice and rural in a farming kind of way.

Re: co. mayo rural areas

what about lecanvey 1/2 way between louisburgh and westport very near the sea and croagh patrick at your back ,good school ,nice community lot going on in an indirect kind of way

Re: Co. mayo rural areas

JohnJoda

There are considerable differences in prices for different parts of Mayo. Even rural area's around Westport, Achill and Castlebar are quite expensive. You can expect to pay in excess of E200k for even a basic cottage on 1/2 and acre of land. However if you are prepared to go further east towards Swinford, Charlestown, Ballyhaunis, Claremorris or Hollymount you'll find a good few properties as low as E120k though they might require some work.

As other posters said, it all depends on what you want. Do you want plenty of space for gardening or keeping livestock, Do you want to be near the sea? Do you want access to public transport or to be reliant on car for access to shopping? Do you want to be near entertainment, theatre, social activities?

If good quality shopping, better public transport, proximity to the sea, social activities are your priority then you're better off near Westport or Castlebar (West mayo)

On the other hand if you are happy with keeping to your self, having plenty of space, travelling by car to shops, and possibly less spectualar scenery or mountains then East Mayo will suit ya.

Re: Co. mayo rural areas

Westport is expensive but nice, I wouldn't mind living there if I had to live in the west.
How about Newport though? The town is on the coast, beside some amazing countryside, has a great new hotel with a good restaurant. Good pubs, fishing, golf, everything on your doorstep. Westport or Castlebar just fifteen minutes away if you need a bit of bustle.
Newport property prices are low, at the moment anyway, particularly compared to Westport. Worth a look anyway.
www.chambersauctioneers.com seems to be the only game in town. I imagine that everything is negotiable

I agree on Newport, something nice about it. Its not too far from lovely scenic areas and near Castlebar which is a decent town with a decent enough size hospital- sorry now but you'll prob need one nearby. I personally hate westport. Ditto clifden, killarney. Ballindine is a small village on the way to castlebar?

Charlestown is a lovely friendly town too with a good community spirit. It has a some lovely restaurants. There's plenty of pubs for the craic, trad sessions etc. You're within half an hour or so from Castlebar, Ballina and Sligo, beside Knock Airport and only an hour from Galway. Regarding accomodation, it depends on what you're looking for - there are plenty of houses available either in/near the town or in more rural locations and all offering good value at the moment.

It depends on what you consider remote.

I spend a lot of time in Mayo and consider the small towns (Charlestown, Swinford etc) about as remote as I want to go, even though they're fairly well populated. It's easy to become "virtually" even more remote by living a mile or so outside these towns. You have the "benefit" of isolation with all necessary services within a five minute drive.

However, it's easy to place yourself at least ten miles from the nearest town should you require an even greater level of isolation. I'd start with Belmullet and work my way out of town.:)

Be sure to consider easy access to bus and rail routes as not all rural areas are the same especially as you are retiring and want to make best use of free travel!!!!. From Belmullet can get a bus daily to ballina and go anywhere from there.

Back