Clutch wear

When parked, put car in forth gear, foot on the break, release clutch slowly, if engine doesn't cut out then clutch is slipping.
Wear? Well from day one your clutch is wearing, until it starts slipping it isn't worn out!

Hi Pelagic, Tried out what you said and engine did cut out . I have what I been told is possibly clutch release bearing wear,the noise from which irritates me when the engine is idling. The garage consider it too much trouble to fix as the transmission? would have to be removed and they dont think the "ticking" is that bad.

I'm no mechanic but you are right in that the bearing is within the clutch assembly and the gearbox will need to be 'moved' to get at it.
Whether the noise is a sign of imminent failure would need expert professional advice.
Have a look at
for some insight into the mechanics of it all.

HTH

Hi, Thanks for reply. I know a Ford mechanic and hoping to get in touch with him for his opinion.

From what your complaint is it's not actual clutch wear it's a dry release bearing on the shaft.

Most hyd clutch's are designed to hide clutch wear so as you the driver gets the most out of the clutch.

If the ford you drive is a focus it has a release bearing and slave cylinder all in one. You might have to watch that one.

But drive the car till it stops if you want, your not going to do a whole lot of damage to parts your going to have to replace anyway. Just means when it goes you might have to wait to get it done as opposed to booking it in to get done.

Hi Mr2, Thanks for information. The car is a Ford Focus ghia and is under 12 months guarantee since Dec06 but garage wont entertain the job. The clutch seems fine and I can live with the tapping.

What kind of warning will I get when the bearing is about to collapse as I would rather get the job done before any breakdown?

It will get stiff or a vibration in the clutch pedel.

12 months warranty so it sounds it's second hand car '05 or older and out of manu warranty. I'd argue the toss with them and tell them you want a new one fitted. If it goes till the end of the year they will say the clutch is wear and tear (which it is) but you will have to pay for it. Tell them you want the noise fixed and a copy of the job card or invoice to see what work was carried out.

Be nice and polite about it and ask them to fix it or give you your money back if there not going to stand by there warranty. You'll get further this way than shouting because they don't know what your going to do, or what your thinking if your nice. Play them.

the clutch slave cylinders sometimes made a small bit if noise on the focus but never a tapping noise these usually gave a humming noise which went when you pressed the clutch to the floor,dont see why a garage wouldnt entertain you ,its a cheap part and a simple box to remove ,

Hi,
Firstly, Its an 03 saloon ghia and I did go back but after holding the car for almost a week, they told me that it did not warrant the Big? job but if it got worse to come back.
Be nice and polite about it
I was maybe too nice .

usually gave a humming noise which went when you pressed the clutch to the floor
The noise goes completely when the clutch is engaged.
I might write a letter to them confirming my bringing the car back etc.just to have something in writing .
Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated

was looking at a 03 silver 4 dr ghia for a main dealer the other day with a gear box noise,

Hi , The story of the clutch noise goes on .
Left in car after Easter when dealer agreed to look again (for the second time). They agreed to fit new clutch . Got the car back on Friday along with old clutch parts including a slave cyclinder (disc and plate).

The noise is ten time worse but is only when idling and now a strange noise when moving slowing with foot of accelerator. It sound like a tractor ?.They had the car twice and its worse now.
Looked up Haines Manual. They state that if noise is only there when foot off the clutch, then its probably Gearbox input shaft bearings.
I was thinking of getting opinion from clutch and gearbox co. in Baldoyle
Any ideas what I should do?

ps. They painted the outside of the tyres on each occasion. . Does this cure the problem . It's almost insulting.

Yep it sounds like gearbox bearings alright. They probably let the gearbox hang on the input shaft while taking it out and finished off a failing bearing. Thats good for you because now you can definitely tell when its fixed because silence will be restored!

Hi Caff, Many thanks for the info. Will try for 3rd time to get them to fix it. The rattle and hum is so bad ,I waiting for the engine to collapse.