Clutch probs me thinks!!

sarahfleming

Hello all,

was driving home from work yesterday and to my dismay when changing gears I was getting a revving sound as if the car wasnt in gear and i was pressing on accelerator which I wasnt as the only pedal i was on was the clutch. i have a fiesta. Any suggestions please

If the clutch is worn/slipping you are more likely to see the engine revs. increasing, whilst accelerating in gear, without the speed increasing.

hi i used to have a ford, the exact same thing was happening to me, only was when i went to change gears there was awful revs i was nowhere near the accelarator. it stopped after a while, the garage told me my clutch was gone, i never got it fixed i have since then got rid of the car

Someone just told me that my clutch could be slipping. Is this a big job to fix and is continued driving with it dangerous

First you need to get a proper diagnosis. Currently you just have some speculation that you may need a new clutch.

Its is a fairly big job but the time taken will depend on the make of car. In any event it can be done in 1 day in the garage. Ring around some garages if you wish to know prices.

Sarah,

Check the position of the pedals - the 3 of them should be fairly close in line, if the clutch in lower (closer to the floor) than the brake and accelarator then it might be a case of tightening the clutch cable.

Hi Sarah

what your describing is more like a sticking accelerator cable.

To check if you clutch is slipping , drive to a quiet road (if you can find one) and put the car in 4th gear. As you drive along, floor the accelerator, if the engine revs ups more than normal, then the clutch is slipping.

If as you say in your post, your foot was not on the accelerator, then the clutch is fine.

Back