Clothes drier marking clothes

Vanilla

I thought I saw this question asked before but can't find it by search. Basically it seems every time I wash clothes and dry them lately in the drier the clothes come out with a black/grey mark- on shirts its usually on the tip of the collar ( which I usually see having ironed all the rest of the shirt ), but can be other places too. I thought this was asked before and the answer was not to overload the drier and the clothes were being caught on the rubber seal around the door because of too big a load. But I am very careful not to load too much and it still happens. Can any one advise, please?

All else being okay, it's possibly not extracting well enough.

1. I presume you clean filter?

2. The tubing to the extract could be obstructed. While running drier, ensure you have a good airflow outside at the vent.

A common occurrence can be the drier being pushed back too far towards back wall and crushing/restricting the tubing. Economically it can be a disaster as well, as the moist air and dust isn't been taken out adequately.

This used to happen to me and I couldn't understand it. I wiped the seals regularly and cleaned the filter. It always seemed to happen to the edge of clothes too i.e. cuffs and collars. Turned out the door seal was full of gunk!! The edges of clothes were able to 'scrape' it off as they tumbled. Disgusting...I had assumed that the seal only need a wipe now and then because the clothes going in were clean. Not so apparently, old water can gather and stagnate, or so I was told. Anyway giving the seal a good scrub worked for me. I know, it's very annoying.

Thanks, SineWave and liteweight, could be any of those things, so I will do a process of elimination- I do clean the filter ( no choice really, its at door opening!) but I've NEVER cleaned the seal, uurgh, will have to do that as soon as I get home this evening after reading your post liteweight!Plus will check pipes arent being squashed at the back- machine does move around a bit ( or the washing machine next to it moves it maybe) so it could be that too.

As a matter of interest, Sinewave, is that to say that a condenser drier should be in a very open space? We were thinking of getting one, but putting it in a shed out the back. It's not even a shed actually. The houses are terraced, and back to back, with a boundary wall between the two backs (about 6 feet high or so), and under that boundary wall on both sides there's an area that each house uses for its own purpose (eg in the past some people used it for storing coal). We intended putting the condenser drier in there. We have power in this "shed". The drier wouldn't have a huge amount of spare space though. What do you think?

This used to happen to me and I couldn't understand it. I wiped the seals regularly and cleaned the filter. It always seemed to happen to the edge of clothes too i.e. cuffs and collars. Turned out the door seal was full of gunk!! .

Same happened to me. I cleaned all around the seal etc. but it still kept happening. I couldn't understand where it was coming from. I called out the repair guy and it turned out that it was the felt around the seal was dirty or stained from dye off the clothes. Simple job just to change it (for him anyway!) and the problem was solved.

As a matter of interest, Sinewave, is that to say that a condenser drier should be in a very open space? ...

Audrey, why would you choose a condensing drier in this situation. Surely it would be easy to vent this somewhere, and save yourself a lot of electricity in the process.

Condensing driers don't need very open spaces though. They can lead to condensation when used indoors, but doesn't sound like this should be a concern in your situation.
Leo

I have had a Zanussi condenser drier for the last 11 years - can't fault it! I empty the lint and water every time and then about once every two/three weeks, I hoover out the lint tray and down inside the door (to remove all that extra fluff that you can't usually get) and despite the fact that its old - it works like a dream. Got those tumble drier balls from Dunnes and they're excellent too.