Closing my business & emigrating

AnyAdvice

Hi,

I have been setup as a sole trader and registered for income tax since Jan-09 however I have had little or no luck in getting any freelance work. I've been on social welfare since Mar-09 and been looking for a move back into a permanent job since then(it has been a very worrying 7 months!). I have been offered a very good job abroad and will be emigrating before the end of August. Can any please advise me as to the steps that I need to close-off with Revenue before I go? Thanks for your help.

Did you actually do any self-employment work?
If so, you will need to produce accounts for that, and complete a 2009 tax return.

No. I did not get any self-employed work. I have been actively looking for a move into permanent work & I've been ill during the last 7 months. It only cost me Euro 20.00 to setup as a sole trader in Jan-09....i realised that it was a non-runner and I applied for social welfare in Mar-09 and have been receiving it since.....

Then just write to the Revenue asking to be de-registered for Income Tax, and indicate that you never actually traded.

It looks like OP just registered a business name but didn't register with revenue. In that case they only need to de register the business name from CRO.

He actually said he had registered for income tax in his post.
The said nothing about registering a business name.

Yes, sorry I see in the first post that they did say income tax but further down in another post they say they paid €20 to register as a sole trader so they might be confused and not actually be registered for income tax.

OP needs to clarify this