Closing accounts using Internet Banking

allencat3

I've been with PTSB for around 30 years - quite happy with its services so far. Due to my current employment location/hours, etc, I rely more on Open24 Internet Banking services than ATMs/counter services. There are 2 or 3 accounts with almost no funds - which needs closing down. However, I've hearing problems and can't use the telephone, I checked the Open24 website for email contact but none. If I transfer all funds (even if a few euros) from those accounts needing closing to my current account (used for daily financial business), would these accounts be automatically closed? Thanks in advance, allencat3

I find that snail mail still work fine for this. They have a copy which is signed by you so no arguments later.

Removing the money from the accounts will not cause them to close. They will remain open with a balance of zero. Also these accounts may be due interest which has not yet been applied yet. You can contact PTSB by E-Mail using info@permanenttsb.ie

They will give you a postal address. You can then send a letter to them in order to close the accounts in question. You just need to give them the account numbers and ask for them to be closed and for any remaining balances including accrued interest to be transferred to your current account.

Don't forget to make sure that there are no penalties for closing the accounts. Fixed term and notice accounts may have penalties for early closing. Current and savings accounts usually don't.