Closing a laptop

ice

Very basic question I know :eek: BUT.....when i am logging out of my laptop do I have to wait for it to shut down completly before I close it or can I close it as soon as I have clicked shut down

cheers

It will eithe rshut down or go into hibernation (depending on operating system). If its xp then either of these will power the machine off altogether. Dont think this does any damage but if you hibernate regularly :p then you should manually shut down once in a while

I actually do shut down manually all the time ....what I mean is when the computer is saying 'windows is shutting down' and it take about 20 seconds for the screen to go blank....do I have to wait for the screen to go blank or can i shut the lid (not a very techinal description I know :eek: ) straight away?

I know what you mean. If you do that, it will shut down as you will see when you try and boot it back up again. It will start the boot from the start.

Try this:

With the computer on, just close the laptop (don't do anything in Windows, just close it). Wait a couple of minutes, and open it up again.

If the laptop is now off (i.e. you need to press the power button to get it back on), then closing the lid puts it into "hibernating" mode. In this case, I would wait for the laptop to shut down before closing the lid in future.

If the laptop is still on (i.e. if screen is off, it comes back on if you move the mouse, with no messages about Resuming Windows or startup sequence etc.), then closing the lid has no effect. In this case, closing the lid while shutting down won't cause any problems.

Thanks rkeane and Bootdog,

That's one of the questions I would have been mulling about in my head when I get my laptop shortly:) but Ice beat me to it. Thanks for that very comprehensive and helpful replies:)

Cheers

Justsally

You're also subject to the vagaries of your operating system. If you have a process waiting to finish or is hung then the cpu wont power down or go into hibernation mode. If youre transporting the lappie anywhere, force the hibernation via whatever hot keys are on the keyboard for same else you may get a hot bag with a laptop with no power 2 hours later. :)

Check your control panel power settings to change what happens when you close the laptop.

Back